Inappropriate pooping - anal gland problem?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RuthV, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RuthV

RuthV Member

Joey continues to go outside box. I have tried two boxes, various litter etc. I have not changed his diet.
    He had a blocked anal glands in March of last year - I wonder if this could be the cause? During that last episode, tho, his stool was bloody - and no sign of that now.

Also he's been OTJ for 10 months, but this am's reading was 280 two and a half hours after he ate. I am wondering if this is all related and maybe the diabetes is flaring up again. He had good readings of under 200 until recently. He's 14.

2. jackie

jackie Member

Hi -
    It sounds like maybe a visit to the vet is in order to see whether the glands could be contributing to the problem.

Have you noticed whether Joey is having any trouble getting into the box. My cat, Argyle, is 19, so she has some trouble getting into the box, especially when her hind legs aren't working that well. Maybe if Joey's diabetes is coming back he is feeling weak and out of sorts. You could try cutting down the side of the box to make it easier for Joey to to climb in and out of and whether that makes a difference. I've also found that if Argyle's poop is on the soft side, she doesn't like using the box because she ends up with poop and litter stuck to her tail, so she prefers to go outside the box in that case. Better for her, not so much for me... I ended up leaving a piece of cut up towels in the bathroom for her to use to finish her business...

Good luck!

Jackie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.