Increase dose or stay the same

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kait & Peanut, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kait & Peanut

Kait & Peanut Member

Hi guys. Peanut has been having consistent 200s for preshot numbers for awhile now and dips into the 100s mid cycle. I'm going to try to attempt a curve today. He hates ear pokes.

He is still not behaving like his normal self. We still have the occasional minor pee accidents in front of the litterboxes. This makes me believe he isn't really hitting low enough bg levels to feel good. He had a few days where he was obviously feeling better and now he's back to feeling bad. He has aids too so that might be complicating things.

Sometimes his PS numbers are very close to 200, so I don't know if an increase would even be possible.

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Kait! Sorry it took awhile for us to reply...been a busy day!

Did you get that curve run today? From what I see, he's staying fairly flat. I'd probably go ahead and increase to 1.6 and see what that does. How old is your insulin bottle?

I don't know much about Feline Aids. Does he take anything for it? Does it have any specific symptoms?

3. Kait & Peanut

Kait & Peanut Member

I didn't get a curve today. I ended up being away from home. Maybe tomorrow. The insulin I've had for about 1 month. I was thinking 1.6 units.

He just acts wrong. He lays on the floor, he doesn't cuddle and he doesn't want me to pet him very much. He just lays on the floor for most of the day and doesn't even purr when I pet him. He walks a walk from me or meows if I try to pet him like he wants me to stop and leave him alone. He has good days where he gets on the bed and relaxes, but nit for as long as he used to. He now prefers the floor. It's just little off behaviors that I can't tell if its the diabetes or the aids causing it, but I know it's not normal for him. He takes zidovudine for the aids.

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

My hunch is that you're right, and a little increase to 1.6 could be good. Just wait to do it on a cycle that you can monitor. It doesn't have to be a full curve. Just aim for two or three extra tests. Aim for like +3 and 5, or +4 and +6. Something like that towards the middle of the cycle.

How is he eating? Does his appetite seem off, or is he eating with enthusiasm?

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Poor little guy! How long has he been acting off?

6. Kait & Peanut

Kait & Peanut Member

It's been at least 2 months of barely any cuddles and longer of him being inactive, missing the litterbox, peeing while sleeping, and just generally acting off.

The vet wants him to go up to 2 units twice a day. I'm hesitant because I want to go up slowly. He's doing 1.4 units twice a day now. I can do 1.6 and see how that goes. I can always go up to 1.8 or 2 if he needs it. I don't want to risk going directly to 2 units, hypoing him while I'm not home, and him dying.

I think I will do what I've read on here and increase slowly starting with 1.6 and monitor him closely. He has also developed hard spots where I'm doing his injections, so I have to improve my technique and move around more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.