? Increase dose to compensate for fur shot?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by ZulusMom, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZulusMom

    ZulusMom Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2017
    Zulu got a fur shot this morning. His AMPS was 286 and when DH tested him at +5 to confirm the fur shot he was 300. We knew not to re-shoot, but my question is do we try to compensate at all at the next dose? He's at 1.4 units/2x per day, so would we want to consider giving him 1.6 tonight to make up for missing this morning, and then go back to 1.4 tomorrow? Or just stick with the same dose and wait for things to level back out over the next few cycles?
     
  2. Noah & me (GA)

    Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2016
    Adjusting the dose then is not something I can comment on. No matter how sure you are it was a fur shot you can't be 100% sure. If you're home all day why not do a mini-curve and see what the numbers are.
     
  3. ZulusMom

    ZulusMom Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2017
    DH was out this afternoon so no more readings before the PMPS. His PMPS was 294, so it looks like he may have just held pretty steady all day. We kept the dose the same, will try to get more readings this weekend to make sure he's actually getting a curve and not flattening out.
     
    Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

    FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2017
    My two cents ... I would not adjust the dose due to a fur shot.
     
  5. Elizabeth and Bertie

    Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2010
    I realise I'm late to this question but, no, if your cat is on a fixed dose of insulin never compensate by making the next dose higher. It may be too high and your cat's BG may drop too low.

    If you were using 'sliding scale' dosing for your cat though, the next dose would depend on the preshot number; so, if the preshot was higher the dose might indeed be higher.
    .
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page