Increase in bg after insulin- why?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amy and Socks, Dec 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy and Socks

Amy and Socks Member

Hi,

How normal or abnormal is it for bg to increase 2 hours after insulin is given? It's happened a couple times before. This morning it was 270 at AMPS, 340 at +2, then back to 270 at +3. Socks is on Vetsulin now, but I'll be switching to ProZinc this weekend or beginning of next week, so things will be changing once again anyway. But I was just curious and wondered if anyone knew why this would occur? Thanks so much!

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Normal.

Seeing a food spike after eating is normal. Usually in the +2 to +3 time frame. ECID though.

Cat could have eaten a bit more, or a bit less. Digestion could have been slower or faster. You got a venous blood sample instead of a capillary blood sample. Cat got more exercise by running up and down the stairs 1 less time, or saw a squirrel at the window and ran from room to room like crazy cat to keep track of said squirrel so used less/more energy. Maybe Socks scarfed up some people food someone dropped on the floor or got into the dog's kibble (don't even know if you have a dog, but things happen)!

Don't get too hung up on the exact numbers.

First of all, remember that meters only have to read within 15% of a lab based reading to be considered accurate enough. So, that 270 BG reading +/-15% could have been anywhere in the range of 230 to 310 and would essentially be considered to be the same reading. That 340 BG reading +/-15% could have been anywhere in the range of 290 to 390 and be considered to be the same reading. So those readings you gave as an example are not that far apart.

Independent study in 2018 found that 2/3 of human glucometers approved by the FDA did not meet the FDA accuracy standards. https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/not-all-fda-approved-glucose-meters-on-the-market-meet-accuracy-standards-581567/

Yes, I see that your spreadsheet shows you switched from the Alphatrak to one of the Relion meters but you use them randomly, still testing with both meters sometimes. That can get confusing. You might want to consider picking one meter and sticking to it.

Informative article from the Mayo Clinic on monitor accuracy here. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-answers/blood-glucose-monitors/faq-20057902 Yes, it talks about some of the inaccuracy factors for humans, but think if some of these could be happening with Socks.

Also, looks like the color coding on your spreadsheet is messed up. At least on the Relion 2019 version. @Marje and Gracie used to fix those sorts of issues for people. Not sure if she still does that, but I've tagged her on this to see if she has time to help.

That PlaqueOff you are using is a seaweed, Ascophyllum Nodosum. According to this article in Frontiers in Science, it's 44% carbs, give or take a couple of percentage points. That could be influencing the BG readings.

Bottom line, we really don't know why the readings are different from test to test. What we are looking for are patterns in BG readings but more importantly, is your cat Socks acting and feeling better?

Less pee in the litter box? Playing? Purring? Pooping ok? Good appetite? All good signs.

3. Amy and Socks

Amy and Socks Member

Good to know. As I mentioned, I was just curious, not concerned. I should have thought about the meter accuracy. I know they're not exact, but it didn't occur to me at the time.

As for the meters, they're actually not used randomly- I always use the Alphatrak. I have a ReliOn because I considered switching since the strips are cheaper, but it requires a larger sample, so I'm not always able to get a reading with it. I don't feel comfortable switching until I can get a reading consistently. But if I do switch, I'll also feel more comforable having some history with the ReliOn so I don't feel like I'm starting over since the numbers are so different from the AT.

Thanks!

4. Deb & Wink

Ok, I couldn't tell for sure from a quick look at your spreadsheet that you were only using the Relion as more of a backup meter. Got it!

We worry about our cats so much sometimes, we forget they are just being normal cats. So if I hear what sounds like a herd of goats tumbling down my stairs, I remind myself it's simply my civie Dancer bringing one of her toys down from upstairs to play with. Why she is in such a gosh darn hurry, I've never figured out, but this happens every evening usually after a meal, and even though there are at least 5 of the exact same toy downstairs, she needs to grab a 'new' one'.

If Socks likes the Tikicat chicken flavors, you might want to try the Puka Puka Luau (succulent chicken) flavor.

5. Amy and Socks

Amy and Socks Member

I have four cats, and they're all 12-15 and have been with me since they were kittens (except Stella who was 1 when we saved her from the shelter). Despite the diabetes, Socks is doing pretty good so far. He acts more like a dog than a cat. Always wants attention, likes to be held and would eat ANYTHING and as much as he could if you let him. He's eaten bread, chips, grapes, olives, chips, popcorn, even half an avocado once. He even ate a plastic cap from a needle because it fell on the floor and he thought it must be a treat! :facepalm: I was lucky with him being able to change food easily. He'll eat anything I give him.

Are you recommending the Puka Puka Luau flavor to replace the Koolina Luau or just for variety?

6. Deb & Wink

Just for variety. Sometimes, cats get tired of one flavor and having another option can be good.

Oh my! When you talk about all the different foods that Socks has eaten, it made me laugh so hard. Hope he doesn't get into any 'forbidden' foods in the future.

7. Amy and Socks

Amy and Socks Member

I see- I'm not too worried about Socks getting tired of the flavor since he'll eat literally anything, but I may get him some just in case. You never know with cats! :) Most of the 'forbidden' food I mentioned are locked away. Some of them we learned he'll eat because we use to store them on the counter (bread, avocados), so now we keep them in the cabinet. The only thing we can leave out now is bananas- he hasn't tried to eat one yet.... He hasn't eaten any of those things in a very long time, except some bread a couple weeks ago when he stole my sandwich off my plate, and his bg reflected that later! :banghead:

8. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

I can relate. Freckles stole toast right out of the toaster once. I thought I was going bonkers when I put two slices in the toaster and only 1 popped out! :confused:

9. Amy and Socks

Amy and Socks Member

Haha- these crazy little cats! People talk about how picky they are (which a majority are), but some of them will do anything for something edible! :)

10. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

No kidding! Freckles even opened up the cupboard door and gnawed the lid off of the olive oil container! I thought I would go to bed one night and wake up with a hand or leg missing!! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.