Increase Question (Disregard)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by G & I, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G & I

G & I Member

Was doing fairly okay (I know not good by any standards)until about 2 weeks ago and numbers started skyrocketing for no apparent reason. No changes in diet or environment. Blood testing on the 13th gave no reason with everything either the same or improving. Had T-4 done and snap pancreas test done also with results normal and neg respectively. Today had the vet do ketone test which gave a +/-. All testing for ketones at home were neg on the 15th,16th, and 19th.

She is losing hair and skin is terrible again. Testing for mites or other parasites showed nothing. They did put Front line on her head to take care of variety of things.

Last night I struggled to get her to eat. And this morning she would not eat. Took to vet for sub q treatment and they gave a pain killer for her back which is bad.

Sorry to ramble ; pm + 10 was 623 and she has been running high for a long time now. Thought also insulin was weak and bought new vial. Initially saw a drop but now higher.

Unable to give insulin this morning due to vet visit with travel time and stuck in traffic.

Since I am now over 5 hours late. She did just eat something. Do I give normal dose/reduce/or skip? I am planning on increasing to 4.25 and staying up with her tonight. Is this the right way to go after a missed dose? Also I am planning to move up shot time to 7:00-7:30. (4-4.5 hours from now) if I skip.

Update- No responses so time difference appears to be becoming a factor here. I’m about 15 minutes from proposed shot time. Question still : Okay to increase to 4.25 since no a.m. shot? Stay with 4.00?

Second Update- Did what I thought was right.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Reason for edit: Second Update
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Sorry no one was here, Greg. I know it is nice to have reassurance when we doubt ourselves. When I read all of the things you do for Goma, I am always impressed by how good a daddy you are to her. :bighug:

Djamila and G & I like this.
  3. G & I

G & I Member

The time difference is definitely working against me now. No explanation for what is going on with her and I drove around for 3 hours trying to get a vet to give me some answers. I’m just not satisfied with the answers I’m getting but have run out of options. Scares me to death to increase with so many things happening to her . Thank you for responding, means a lot to me.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

So many complex things going on with Goma. I'm sure that adds to the great difficulty in getting her numbers down. Keep testing for ketones of course. I'd suggest taking those numbers at face value right now because that's all you can do - dose around the issues. I'd recommend going to more frequent increases again to see if you can't break her out of what might be some glucose toxicity from staying too high. No more than 3 or 4 cycles at a dose and then a 0.5 u increase (because the dose is high enough). Get at least a +2 or +3 evening test because she tends to run lower at night. You might end up with significantly different AM and PM doses but she's a complicated kitty. You need a dosing regimen that helps her even if it ends up being unconventional.

5. G & I

G & I Member

Okay thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.