Increased Liver Enzyme Fit No Pattern

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by paige, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I haven't been here for a while but I have an issue. My civvy cat Lacey is overweight and the vet thinks she is suffering from arthritis as she is no longer able to jump up onto anything. She basically has to pull herself up. I have bought steps etc, but I digress....

They went ahead and did a full blood panel and things came back with moderately increased Lipase (435), AST (197) and ALT (413) HOWEVER nothing seems to fit any pattern. Her ALP is normal. She is still eating and has not lost weight. I am at a loss other than perhaps she has a tumor or something. I know that labs can sometimes be a fluke and we are going to repeat the labs in a cpl weeks, but in the meantime I want to be proactive and ask if we can do an abdominal ultrasound to look for any abnormalities. Her litter mate was put down Dec 2012 after being diagnosed with cancer. Lacey is 6 years old and weighs 21.5 pounds. We are going to put her on a weight loss diet right away but do any of you have any thoughts or experience with certain increased liver enzymes that fit no pattern? I guess there is always the possibility of pancreatitis as well. (sigh) I'm sorry this is long. I am just so full of questions and sitting around isn't in my nature. I don't want her to suffer.

Thank you
    Webber and Paige and Civvy Lacey

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Some browsing you might do: From the Merck Veterinary Manual Online Hepatic Disease in Small animals

I am wondering if the obesity is causing something like fatty liver disease in humans, ie, enough circulating fat is being store in the liver that is impairing liver function. Something you could discuss with the vet.

A liver supportive product like Marin might be helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.