Indie newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jessica & furbaby Indie, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Jessica & furbaby Indie Member

Hello!

I just joined this message board as my lil girl, Indie was recently diagnosed with diabetes. My sister just picked her insulin (Lantus) up from Costco. Her blood glucose monitor (AlphaTRAK 2) arrived yesterday from Amazon and then I will begin giving her shots tonight at 7pm and then there after every morning at 7am and night at 7pm.

I did visit the vet this weekend and they taught me how to properly give her the shots and check her blood sugar from home. She was so calm and easy. Am hoping and praying is the same at home. Here is a photo of her at the vet when I learned how to give her the shots. This was before we started, she is poking her head up all curious ☺️

Attached Files:

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Thank you so much for responding and providing these resources!! I seem to be struggling big time with testing the bg. I can't seem to get the hang of it. Either no blood or blood and then the machine reads error.

4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. :bighug: You certainly have got a good start on dealing with Indie's diabetes. Starting home testing is very important and HUGE kudos to your vet for showing you how to home test. What a great bonus to have a vet who encourages home testing!!

The Alpha Trak 2 uses a very small drop of blood and once you get the hang of it, it is very simple to use. With the AT2 meter you put the strip with the test section (one on each side of the strip) against the blood drop and allow it to draw the blood. Some people will get a blood drop on their fingernail and then use the meter from there. It all takes time but you are starting off just great.

If you have any health questions, or questions about testing or setting up the spreadsheet to record your test results (an excellent tool) you can post on the Health Forum at:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

This is a "busy" forum and you should be able to get good responses to any questions you have,

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  5. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.