Infections affect on BG levels

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by arozeboom, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

Will infections always cause an increase in BG levels in an FD cat?

For example, Ruby is OTJ. I tested her last night and she scored a lovely 78.
    If she developed a bladder or dental infection, would her BG automatically start increasing or is it possible that it would stay in the normal range? Also, if a cat is still on insulin, would infection always cause the BG level to go up?

Thanks!
    Amy

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Experience is that BG goes up. However, if the cat is eating less and you are giving the same dose BG may go down.

3. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

What about if they are OTJ?

4. Helene & Cleo

Helene & Cleo Member

My cat has been on an OTJ trial for the past 14 days; for 7 of those days she had a mild infection which needed antibiotics. I noticed a rise in her BG numbers, they subsided again slightly when she seemed to recover from her sinus infection and the symptoms eased, then dropped again when the course of antibiotics ended.

More info on my Cleo's situation:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=81711

So yeh, it seems from our recent experience that both infections and antibiotics can raise BG numbers in diabetic cats who are in remission/ diet controlled/ OTJ, but they drop back down fairly soon after the infection is dealt with.

H

5. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Yes, bg goes up when there is an infection. I believe some meds will also effect glucose readings.

My husband's doctor is having him monitor his glucose daily, and a sinus infection took his normal 120-130 reading up to almost 500! Once treated it returned to normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.