Infrequent Urination

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bambinaki, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bambinaki

bambinaki Well-Known Member

Hi-
    I've recently adopted a kitty who I think is 2-3 years old. He has feline AIDS. He seems very well; he has a good appetite. But I notice that he drinks water very rarely, and he pees only once or twice a day (usually only once). He doesn't seem to fuss around the litter box like he wants to go but can't. He eats only canned food, and I've been adding some water to it. Is the infrequent urination something I should take him to the vet for? If so, what specifically should I make sure is checked?
    Thanks.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Once or twice a day is somewhat normal. My FD Mitten only urinates twice a day.

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Cats who are on canned food typically don't drink a lot of water because they get their moisture from their food, so I don't think you have anything to worry about :D

4. bambinaki

Re: Infrequent Urination... Now a Dental Question

Thank you for your replies.

I have another question: Since all his food is mushy, I worry about his teeth. I don't and won't give him dry food. What *easy* meat should I give him and how often to keep his teeth healthy? ('easy' = easy for me)

5. Jen & Squeak

Dry food is not better for his teeth, it is a fallacy. For more info please see Dr Lisa's page www.catinfo.org

Would you like to tell us more about yourselves ?

Jen

6. bambinaki

Yes, so I don't give him dry food. There's really no more to tell than what I told above. Is there an unanswered question that I can answer?

7. Jen & Squeak

Just wondering, as we don't often see posters who do not have diabetic cats...

8. bambinaki

I had a diabetic cat until a few weeks ago when he passed away. I had noticed before that this is a general health forum, and I know the users are mostly knowledgeable, so I thought I'd post my questions here. (Going to re-post my dental question as it's own topic.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.