Injectable Prednisolone

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by chriscleo, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

Cleo just saw the vet today and we decided to change some of her pill prescriptions to injectables to make her life easier. she hates pills.

just shot the injectable prednisolone, and it obviously hurt her (don't know whether it stings or what). it also looked fizzy and you could see all the prednisolone particles so i called the vet who said just shake it.

wondering how you handle a cloudy syringe of injectable prednisolone, and what tricks you might use to give it to your cat without hurting him/her.

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Chris, sorry you are having to deal with this, and hoping things are going ok for you these days.

I tried that once with one of my kitties (GA), I think it was injectable Prednisone though. It was awful, and I stopped after a couple shots, disappointed they had even sold it to me, it just didn't seem like a good med to shoot and no matter how much I shook it, it would already be settling before I could get the shot in. I don't know if that was isolated (got it from the vets rather than a compounding pharmacy - I think the pharmacies add some ingredients that aid in the suspension).

What I have found works (if they will swallow at all) is to crush the Pred and mix it with some baby food. At one point I also got it made by a compounding pharmacy as a liquid, with chicken or tuna flavor mixed in, and my cat loved that. It was a bit expensive, but worked well for us for several months. She did not tolerate pills, but would tolerate something reasonably tasty in an oral syringe.

I have had good luck with Golden Gate Pharmacy (are we allowed to mention business names?) up in Marin. As well as compounded liquids, they can also make chewy treats with the meds mixed in. If you call them I think they will send you a sample pack of chewy treats (no meds) so you can see if your cat will eat them (one of mine loved them, the others wouldn't touch them). As far as I could tell the Pred itself doesn't taste bad, so it seemed to be a good candidate for chewies or liquid, unlike some other meds. [I have no affiliation with that pharmacy, and I'm sure there are other veterinary compounding pharmacies that can do the same thing.]

Bix gets his Budesonide from there in a liquid with chicken flavoring. He looks forward to it every day!

[if you do end up trying chewy treats, be sure they give you the maximum quantity for the price - i.e. 10 treats cost the same as 30 treats (I think they are priced in batches of 30 or something like that), so make sure there is no miscommunication and you get the full value for what you are paying]

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Just happened to see this when checking on how to get a free BCP PZI sample for someone:

http://www.bcpvetpharm.com/pdf/sample.pdf

If your vet is willing, they can fax in the form and request samples for Prednisolone chews, and I guess there is a transdermal form as well, if you are interested.

4. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Chris

You could ask about switching to dex injections which might be more tolerable. I rarely give prednisolone inj so I don't know if her reaction was out of the ordinary.

I second the notion of compounding the pred. Earl ate his pred chewies even when he didn't want to eat his regular food. The dog was crazy for them and so were the other cats--I had to keep them in a drawer to keep everyone away from them. I used the liver or chicken flavors from VPA.

5. chriscleo

vet did mention some cats can't tolerate the pred injections. she yelped and moved like it really stung.

a little discouraged to try the chewies. lol. we tried leukeran that way and she hated them so much i had to put a lot of pill pocket around them and eventually it totally turned her off the pill pockets. major disaster. ever since then i've basically had to force her to eat the pill pockets (she LOVED them before that). that really sucked considering we're talking more than 9 pills (or parts of pills broken up) per day.

guess i could ask golden gate to send me an uncompounded sample of just the chewy itself to see if she'll eat it. i certainly give them enuf business with harry.

6. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

My cats are pretty iffy on the flavored chewies. I have one cat currently taking them. I don't know how you feel about dry, but my civie only eats his chewy up if I break it into smaller pieces and spread it on Temptations treats, kind of like cheese and crackers.

I have also given many Dex injections to Bear and Teddy, and they do not react to it with pain at all. I believe it has a stronger effect on the BG than Pred, however.

7. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Ask Carolyn and Latte where she gets their compounded pred from. I think Latte eats it as a treat. But I forget if it's prednisone or prednisolone.

8. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Sasha very highly recommends the BCP vet chews in liver flavor. :smile: I've used them with her for multiple medications without problems, even when she was at her most inappetent. The compounded treats worked so well for us that I now use the BCP vet chew sans medication compounded within to wrap around her Budesonide and Levothyroxine.

9. chriscleo

cassandra

hey, could you toss me one chew or half a chew in the mail (just in a letter envelope) or if you haven't sent the other pkg yet?
    i could taste test it. or rather cleo can. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.