Injection & feeding question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by doombuggy, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Things were different 2 years ago when Cedric was last on lantus. Here's a question I post4ed in his condo but wanted to also post here:

He receives his test and injection in the morning at 6am. He then gets his breakfast. he has 2 small meals during the day thru his auto feeder. At 6pm he gets tested and injected. He is then fed his dinner at 7pm.

Should I split his final meal up, giving him some right after the insulin? I don't know if this effects his numbers. He (and his brother) are fed at 7pm to help get them thru the night. They don't beg for food later in the evening.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Some cats are very sensitive to carbs and have food spikes 2-3 hours after eating. These may be flattened a bit by spreading the food out in mini-meals, freezing half for delay in consumption or using a timed feeder.

Some cats experience sudden drops when the insulin kicks in 2-3 hours after injection. The full meal at shot time helps offset this.

You take what you know about your cat on these 2 patterns and adjust to fit what your cat does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.