injections

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NanandBran, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NanandBran

NanandBran New Member

I am new to this site, with my newly diagnosed Brandy (in March) and it has been very helpful. We went through a lot on her initial diagnosis which entailed hepatic lipadosis. She presently takes 1/2 unit of Lantus every 12 hours. Potassium twice daily and Denamarin once daily. My vet told me to start varying the locations of the shots to down the sides of the shoulders and if she tolerates it along the rib cage. I've started with down the sides of the shoulders. Some days are better than others as she'll flinch or jerk. But she always comes when its shot time, my little angel. I'm trying to perfect my shot tecnique and am a little frustrated because when I think I have a handle on it, she'll jerk or move, hence the vets suggestion about varying the locations. However, today i think I have her a fur shot because I smelled the insulin after. I think that happened yesterday morning too. I am a little worried because I don't want her numbes to go too high and I know I shouldn't do another injection. I don't have a glucose meter yet. I am concerned if numbers are too high today if that would cause keytones? I am going to put a call into my vet but I usually don't get an answer from her right away. Just so concerned because it is up to me to be diligent about making sure she is healthy. Any suggestions and tips would be helpful. Thank you. Nan and Bran

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info,
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!)

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Ketones are more likely if the cat is 1) ill, 2) not eating and 3) doesn't have enough insulin to manage the glucose levels. You can test for ketones in the urine (KetoStix or KetoDiaStix) or the blood (Nova Max or Precision XTra meters). Blood meters are more expensive to use but on the average, will identify ketones sooner than urine testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.