Insulin beginning to lose potency! Increase dose or get a new vial?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MizzKitty, Sep 12, 2018.

1. MizzKitty

MizzKitty Member

Hey all, Ive done some research here and my vet as well has told me not to throw away my lantus before around 6 months, because it is perfectly usable until then.

Im at the 5 month mark with my current vial and of course would love to hold onto it for one more month if possible. Not looking forward to another $300 vial, ugh! I probably should have looked into the canada pens ive heard mentioned here, but I dont know if I have enough time for them to arrive now. how long does shipping usually take to arrive to the USA?

anyway, just recently noticed this week that Cookie's shots arn't taking her very far as they used to, so ive finally been consistently shooting 1.5u, which months ago would have easily put her in hypo. I may even need to do 1 3/4 or even 2u if her numbers and nadir dont go down. Is this okay to do? Does anyone else just shoot higher to ride out the use of their insulin a bit longer? Thanks for any advice and input!

edit: The vial is still crystal clear, no floaties or cloudiness.

(PS I know getting her bg chart would be helpful as well, I just have not had time to compile 4 months of bloodwork yet. But it is something I need help on, cant seem to get cookie out of the 200's consistently)

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I have a suggestion. Start the spreadsheet. Plug in just a couple weeks of testing amd maybe work on a little more when possible. It usually took about a week for me to get insulin from Mark’s. I’m in California.

MizzKitty likes this.
  3. MizzKitty

MizzKitty Member

Alright Ill do that, that's a good idea. Though I am worried about recent numbers and doses being thrown off due to the suspected potency loss of my insulin, hmm...Im 99% sure 1.5u with a brand new vial will send Cookie straight to 50-40 like it had in the past. And thanks for letting me know how long your insulin took to arrive. Maybe I will do that if you guys reassure me that my lantus will be okay until then.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Usually takes about a week from the day you order until the day it arrives from Marks

They also will give you a tracking number so you can watch it move through the postal system

MizzKitty likes this.
  5. MizzKitty

MizzKitty Member

thank you so much, Ill definitely look into that in the morning, that's a life saver then.

6. Chris & China (GA)

The quick answer is NO....cat's insulin needs change so just because 1.5 might have dropped her too low before, it doesn't mean it'll do it again.

If you had a spreadsheet, it would be easier for us to help you decide if the insulin is really going bad or not.

We don't need to see the last 4 months of numbers...if you can just get the last couple of weeks it'd help and then work on later as you have time

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I think you'll be okay if you order tomorrow. Do you have a script to send them?.

8. MizzKitty

MizzKitty Member

Alright, ill be sure to do that asap then, thank you very much! Ill be back once I get it in order!

9. MizzKitty

MizzKitty Member

No, Id have to call my vet in the morning. Im sure they'd fax it right over for me. Sounds like its more important than I thought however, to get a chart before anyone knows for sure if my insulin is bad, so Ill do that first! :)

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  10. Chris & China (GA)

If you need help getting it set up, just holler.....takes me about 30 seconds and then all you have to do is go through your meter and get the numbers!

If you want me to set it up for you, send me a private message by clicking on my name and choosing "start conversation"

11. MizzKitty

MizzKitty Member

Appreciate you offering, I got it figured out and put down about 2 weeks worth. If more is needed just let me know. Been very frustrated since her dx, cant seem to get her down. sheet is now in my sig.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  12. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

My vial of Lantus is 9 months old - it's been refrigerated the entire time - still works. Hopefully after posting your numbers others can chime in. Would be a shame to waste it...too expensive ...

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  13. MizzKitty

MizzKitty Member

wow 9?! That's awesome! I sure hope mine keeps that long. $300 is no joke.

14. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I received an order from Mark's Marine Pharmacy today, it was shipped on Monday at around their closing time. I talked to them today and they said they had not known of anyone getting their order so fast before. I live in Indiana and arrangements had been made for them to ship on Monday.
    You can buy a box of 5 pens at Mark's and have them shipped to you cheaper than what you paid for 1.

MizzKitty likes this.