Insulin change high dose to start

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kenai_21, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenai_21

Kenai_21 Member

Hello,

My poopers has been on vetsulin for over 6 months now. Sugars all over see his ss. U got him changed over to ProZinc. However my vet has on his prescription 4u Q 12hrs? That's too high of a start... please help. Gonna start him tomorrow.....

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

That is a really, really high starting dose, and it looks like his BG numbers are not even that high. I would not do it. 1 unit twice a day is a normal starting dose, but his numbers really are not high, so I am not sure I would even start as high as 1 unit. Let's see what the 'old pros' say. :)

Kenai_21 likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Are you calling me old??? ;)

And definitely not a pro, but the usual recommendation is to switch over at a comparable dose. So it looks like you’re currently at 2u, so if I’m reading that correctly, that would be your starting dose on Prozinc. That is also assuming that you switch when you’ll be able to keep a close eye on a couple of cycles. You’ll want to get some extra tests in to make sure the switch is going okay and to be able to intervene if needed.

Kenai_21 likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

NO! Old pro, not old person. :smuggrin:

5. Kenai_21

Kenai_21 Member

Most definitely will do a curve to see where he's at with this. I never did it with vetsulin

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hahaha, now we're all old!!!

7. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

LOL....:bighug:

Well, if I'm old, Rachel is ancient! ;) Which is kind of funny since I'm older than she is :p

Kris & Teasel and Rachel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.