Insulin dosing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Buddy's human, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddy's human

Buddy's human New Member

I’m pretty new to this only about six Weeks since my cat Buddy was diagnosed. Trying to figure out and regulate his dosing I’m not at home testing yet but he’s getting fructosamine testing At the vet twice per month. She lowered his dose for two units to one when it look like he was remitting. However he had high fructosamine Reading again and the dose increased back to two. My concern is when dose increased again his water consumption did not decrease and has actually increased again recently. I’m curious how long it takes To regulate as it’s only been six weeks so far. He goes for another test next week so I can tell this to the vet.
    Thanks for any feedback and support

2. Buddy's human

Buddy's human New Member

Sorry meant to post this in main forum page

Sharon14 likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Increasing by a whole unit is too much We usually increase doses by .25-.5 unit at a time. To tell if Buddy is getting too much or not enough you really must home test. A fructosamine test will only tell you the average over two weeks time. We’ve had many kitties here who’s fructosamine was good, but when tested each day it was found that they were actually not regulated, but dropping low and bouncing back up. It’s really easy to test and we’ll be glad to help you learn. I know you are going to talk to your vet about it, but there’s no reason you couldn’t go ahead and start now! Come to the Main thread and tell us more about sweet Buddy.

krazy4kritters likes this.
  4. Buddy's human

Buddy's human New Member

Thanks Sharon you had responded to my other post too. I’ll recopy that thread into the main forum tonight from my home computer.

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.