Insulin help I'll be gone during her normal insulin times TOMORROW

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lauren Cox, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lauren Cox

Lauren Cox Member

Hi advice on what to do tomorrow. I'll be out of town tomorrow (leaving an hour and 20 minutes before Izzys normal insulin dose of 1.5 prozinc @8am) Should I still give her insulin after I test her preshot and feed her as long as her numbers are in upper 300-400s?

Also won't be home until 15 hours later. Should I skip her 8PM dose and get back on track at 8am the following morning? I feel so guilty.... This is my first time since January that I won't be home around her normal insulin times.

Thanks!

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Is there anyone else who can give her the shot while you're gone? So if I'm understanding that correctly, you'd be missing both doses?

3. Lauren Cox

Lauren Cox Member

I have no one this time around to administer her shots for tomorrow. I can certainly give her a shot an hour and 20 minutes before her regular time at 6:40am instead of 8am. But we won't be home until 10 pm. so would you give her pm shot or wait until morning? Thanks I'm not sure what I can do. I've been diligent since February giving her shots 12 hours apart. But tomorrow will be an issue.

4. Djamila

Honestly, I'm just really not sure what to recommend. Except please don't be too hard on yourself! As much as we care for our kitties and do everything we can to keep them as healthy as possible, sometimes there's just not way around it. You have done a great job, and don't need to feel guilty. If you skip the morning shot, and give the evening shot, you'll be off schedule by two hours, right? how does your schedule look for the days after that? You could slowly walk the shot time back if you give it at 10pm, and then in the morning at 9:30am, and that evening at 9:00pm and the next morning at 8:30, and the next evening at 8pm and then you'd be back on schedule and she'd only miss the morning shot. Would that work do you think?

Then you could just think of the morning shot like a fur shot and get back on track pretty quickly.

I think that's the best scenario I can think of right now. What do you think?

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Lauren Cox

Lauren Cox Member

Thank you! Good idea. She was 433 this morning so I gave her one unit instead of 1.5. I'll give her regular shot this evening at 10 and then like you said above ease back into normal schedule thanks

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I like Djamila's suggestion.

Lauren Cox likes this.
  7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

For what sounds like short notice, I like Djamila's plan too :)

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ditto!

9. Djamila

Hi Lauren! Are you back on schedule now?

I'm hoping others will take a look and chime in, but I'm wondering if Izzy could use a dose increase (1.75u) if there is a cycle or two that you could get some mid-cycle numbers this weekend. I'm hesitating and would love to hear what others think because you are still getting some pretty big drops at the current dose, so I'm not confident if you should raise right now or wait any longer and would love a second or third or fourth opinion.

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Here's my take on it, based on my experience with a volatile kitty: look at the lows to judge a dose. The drops are part of a bouncy kitty's response patterns. We want to control them to reduce bouncing and maybe that can help - somewhat. What we want are some nice nadirs as often as possible. It comes back to that dilemma of what to do about bouncing - drop the dose to reduce it (maybe) or let it be and try to get decent mid cycle numbers.

It might be worth trying 1.75 u this weekend and getting a curve done.

11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, I still go back and forth on the best way to handle the bounce...but I'd probably go up to 1.75 too because I try to focus on the nadir and see what you're getting there. If you're not getting the low blues or high greens, I tend to think raising the dose is best. I could be completely wrong about the best way to handle it, but that's my take at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.