Insulin left out for 12 hours - any good?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ginny & Alex, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginny & Alex

Ginny & Alex Well-Known Member

I worked yesterday from 5pm to 1am, so Stan let me sleep in this morning.
    When we were ready to test and shoot this evening, the insulin bottle was inside the bag with the meter.
    A brand new bottle of insulin left out of the fridge for 12 hours :evil: .

Is is any good? Should I make him take his first pension check and buy a new vial of insulin?

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Darn! He was trying to help, poor guy. How warm overnight? Well, you can continue using it and watch. Floaties no good. If it stops being effective, no good.

3. kse

kse Well-Known Member

It should be fine! I have done it also, but saw no problems with the insulin.

4. I think you should thank him for letting you sleep in, and tell him not to spend that check quite yet until I get done googling it.....brb (at least let him think he's in trouble. That usually works on us guys)

5. stupid web site. It says to keep it refridgerated, but it doesn't address "what if I don't?"

There are a couple of phone numbers though:
    Carl

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Carl,

They'll advise buying a new one! They sell the stuff. :mrgreen:

7. Ginny & Alex

I already googled, and when left out for 12 hours, the general recommendation is to replace.

8. Oh, I know, of course they will. Maybe you can ask a "a friend of mine left there's out and it was still good after 18 hours. I only left mine out for 12, so it should still be okay, right?"

9. I think I would try it for a few cycles and see if the numbers go wonky.

10. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I left mine out for 8 hours and it was fine....numerous times. I really think it is fine!

11. Ginny & Alex

I guess we'll keep using it until we can determine if it isn't working. The only problem is, with Alex and his numbers, I won't be able to tell. :shock:

12. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

I read on diabetic cat site that if you just refigerate it again and leave it alone for a week that it gets potent again. But that still means you would have to buy a new vial. Darn!!

13. bookw0rm

bookw0rm Well-Known Member

Probably still okay. I know with lantus, levemir, & humalog the vial can be kept at room temp once it's opened-but you're supposed to use it within a month. Refrigeration prolongs the usability. I know prozinc is slightly different, but as long as it didn't get super hot.you should be fine.

14. Ginny & Alex

I guess the insulin is working OK.

Alex has been running high on his pre-shots, but today, when hubby tested at 12:30-ish, he was at 129.
    So I'd say a 67% drop indicates that DH won't have to buy a new vial of insulin with this first pension check. :lol:

15. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Agree! :mrgreen:

16. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Can I say it????? I TOLD you!!! :mrgreen:

17. Ginny & Alex

You may! ohmygod_smile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.