Insulin "life" question

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Tilou, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tilou

Tilou Member

Just wondering if anyone can tell me the maximum length of time you can use Prozinc for once it's "open"?

Been using latest bottle for five weeks and Bob's BGs are on the rise, despite diet remaining same.

So am wondering if insulin effects are reducing with age?

Am only half way through bottle!

Thanks in advance.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

The manufacturer says it is good for 60 days after opening, but it can last much longer than that if it has been properly stored and handled.

Tilou likes this.
  3. Tilou

Tilou Member

Thank you! That's what I was hoping. The previous lot was used in around 60 days as Bob was on a higher dose. But I think this bottle could last around 80-90 days if I don't have to up his dose again. It's kept in the fridge and I monitor it for any changes in appearance.

4. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Our last vial of Prozinc lasted a little more than 3 months. It didn't lose potency during that time. The vet said to use it until it was gone, so that's what I did. Then I bought a new vial.

Tilou likes this.
  5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I used my first vial for about six months. I wouldn't use it any longer than that, but up to that point, it was working just fine.

Tilou likes this.
  6. Tilou

Tilou Member

Many thanks for the positive responses.

I was fairly sure the insulin would last well if kept appropriately, but am trying to pinpoint why Bob's bloods have gone up again.

I suspect it's a combination of his somewhat erratic food intake (although I have got him on a sort of routine) and what the vet calls his "complicated diabetes"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.