Insulin not lowering blood glucose

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kait & Peanut, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kait & Peanut

Kait & Peanut Member

Hi again. I feel bad posting so much, but I am confused again.

Peanut was on 1.4 units of prozinc, he was doing well, but his nadir was only hitting the blue numbers.

I have increased him to 1.8 units and gave it time to adjust, but he seems to be doing worse. Now he is almost always near 250-300 for ps testing and he's in the yellow numbers whenever I test him throughout the day. He is having urine accidents far more now, and he seems to believe he is constantly starving.

I don't know if I should stay at the 1.8 unit dose, decrease back to the 1.4 and see if he improves, or if he needs an increase to 2 units. What would you do?

2. Kait & Peanut

Kait & Peanut Member

I gave him 2 units at 9pm with his dinner. He was at 309 preshot. That's terrible. Insulin resistance maybe? The vet has been encouraging me to get him up to 2 units twice a day anyway.

3. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

I’m not experienced enough to advise you but if it’s any encouragement Truffles went up to 2.5u before his bg really started to drop. Then it was a quick decrease and he’s been off insulin for nearly 3 days now! Hang on in there

4. Kait & Peanut

Kait & Peanut Member

Oh good job, Truffles! That helps. I get so nervous since he did well for awhile and now seems worse again. He ruined a boot mat with pee today. I just hope increasing is heading in the right direction. I'm glad to hear 2 units doesn't seem like an unreasonable dose though.

5. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Take a look at Mr Ts ss. You’ll see he was in the pink zone for a while. I was just relieved it was at least lowering!

6. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Hi there! I'm not familiar with Prozinc, my kitty Maverick is on Lantus, but I have some thoughts. I looked at your spreadsheet, and noticed there aren't too many mid cycle tests. Even though you are using Prozinc, without seeing how low Peanut is getting, it's hard to say whether you have to increase. Can I also suggest, there are some really great, experienced people on the Prozinc sub-forum, it may help to get them to give you some specific advice that relates to the insulin you are using. Here is a link to that sub-forum:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

I was also wondering about what your feeding schedule is like. I have had to play around with carbs and feeding, not sure if that is important with Prozinc, but I suspect you may have similar patterns where the insulin starts to take affect, and low points in the cycle. I think if you can get a few more mid-cycle tests, that may help figure out where you need to go, that's what I'd do, anyway.

7. Kait & Peanut

Kait & Peanut Member

He doesn't like ear pokes. I bumped him up to 2 units last night. I have been trying to get random mid cycle tests in because he won't tolerate a full curve. I keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't seem off, and I test him if he acts strange.

I just can't have him missing the litterboxes multiple times per day. His behavior seems pretty normal other than pee accidents and starvation meowing.

8. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

@Kait & Peanut I also would suggest that you make a new post in the Prozinc/PZI forum like mentioned above. Its a smaller family but they/we are all using Prozinc or are familiar with it. You will get a lot of help on there. I am still pretty new to all of this as well and that spot has been great with helping me and my boy. You do need to try your best to get some more checks in throughout your cycles to see how he is reacting to the insulin. Every cat is different and can have different nadir times. The more you get him use to the pokes the easier it will come. Remember to always treat him after even if it wasn't a successful attempt. 309 isn't the worse number and doesn't mean he is resistant. It just takes time for the bodies to adjust to the doses. You should hold the same dose for at least 3 cycles before changing it. Unless for some reason he tested really low for a preshot. Anyways I promise if you click the link to the Prozinc forum that @Christie & Maverick posted above and you start a new post there you will get a lot of helpful responses. See you over there.

9. Kait & Peanut

Kait & Peanut Member

Ok I'm going to test him out with 2 meals per day and no snacks. I think the chicken he's been getting as a snack has been raising his numbers. He will still get bonito flakes as treats. If he's still not doing better I'll head over to the prozinc section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.