Insulin onset and effectiveness

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JeanW, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeanW

JeanW Member

Is it correct that insulin begins to take effect about 2 hours after the shot? Or does that depend on the kind of insulin?

What is the typical amount of time that insulin is at it's max effectiveness? I'm using Lantus.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It depends more on the cat than anything and as you know, ECID!!

Generally speaking, if there was such a thing as a totally perfect cycle, you'd expect lantus to start to kick in between 2-3 hours after the shot and that it'd reach it's nadir at +6 (more generally, between +5 and +7 but some cats nadir early and some cats nadir later.....and as soon as you think you've got your cat figured out, they change it!!)

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Onset depends on the type of insulin and the cat. For example, Levemir typically onset’s a couple hours after Lantus. My Neko didn’t like to be typical, so onset around +5 on Levemir, +3 on Lantus.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

As for duration, or length of time it’s effective, again that varies by cat, insulin type and dose. The newer insulins are longer lasting. Cats get better duration as they get closer to a good dose. Speaking of which, can I ask why you didn’t reduce with that 60 on the AT?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.