Insulin resistance question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa and Merlyn (GA), Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi! So I have not tested Baloo for IAA or acro, but seeing the first pictures of him ChrisCleo actually said that he sorta had that look. Hes a BIG cat but proportioned.

He was being overdosed and not tested, and now it seems that when I increase his dose so do his BGs, as if he had been so used to keeping himself safely high that now when he is in the 300s hes not comfortable.

If a cat is Insulin resistant (iAA pos) will switching insulin make a difference?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You might post in the acro/IAAA forum.

My guess is insulin resistance would occur despite insulin changes. I believe the tactic is to religiously test and keep ahead of the resistance by increasing the dose per guidelines.

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Switching insulin won't make a difference if cat is IAA. If Baloo is positive for IAA, you will see a choppy ss, with drops out of nowhere, and you don't need to be at a high dose for IAA.

ETA: the ss does not look like any IAA at the moment, but dose is still low and could be more like acro. I think I would switch insulin because you would have better luck to regulate a resistant cat by using Levemir, and maybe Lantus. Prozinc does not last the full 12hrs for some cats and unless you want to try TID dosing, I think Lev would be a good switch.

I will say that if you are dealing with resistance, you are going to have to be much more aggressive in dosing as holding a dose too long just give the resistance a chance to push ahead of you, and you need to get in front of the bus, not running alongside it or behind it.

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Thank you for responding. I had thought about going to Lantus. I am glad it doesnt look iaa yet .I will probably need to test for iaa. I am gone sometimes 11 hrs a day so its going to be hard to do tid so hopefully he's not pod.

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Look for Pattie and Harley postings on fdmb and check out Harley's ss; he's just IAA. You will see what I mean about being early and hard to tell for sure.... one thing for sure is that you will need to get more aggressive and if Baloo does turn out to be acro and get to a high dose, you would be better off with Lev because human diabetics have stated that Lantus stings at higher doses.
    Lev also has a smoother curve and some cats, like my Shadoe did noticeably better on Lev.

With your being gone for sure 11hrs at a time, Lev with the shed / overlap would work to your advantage if you were ever a wee bit late. I would take a look at the protocol followed by the guys on the Lantus / Lev forums; holding a dose for longer than 6 shots if in high numbers like Baloo is just asking for trouble..... you want to get up to Baloo's good dose as quickly and safely as you can.
    If you are not seeing progress by shot 6 of a dose, it's time to increase.

6. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Wow, I see what you mean about Harleys ss! ChrisCleo has said similar things about my holding dose too long LOL, I am from the Start Low Go Slow Era !(despite doing modified TR with Merlyn) It seems like when I do increase, Baloos bgs increase. I had no 500s and when I increased to 3U he suddenly gave me 2 500s.
    '
    I was thinking Lantus just because I used that for Merlyn.

oh and sorry, the last word in my last post was supposed to be Iaa.. dang word fill in on my phone..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.