Insulin resistant?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ambermom, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ambermom

Ambermom New Member

My cat has been on prozinc 7 units for 4 mos. and her numbers are not coming down. To complicate matters, she also
    has HCM and is on various beta blockers and diuretic. I heard that beta blockers can interfere with the absorption of insulin? Is this true? Help.. Amber is only 8 hrs and has been so sweet
    With all the poking and prodding

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I don’t have any experience with beta blockers in a diabetic cat. This general type of question is worth posting on the main health forum.

As far as PZI goes, we’ve given you a quick summary on this forum.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Ambersmom. Can you tell us exactly what meds Amber is on? We have a few members that have had kitties with heart problems and I’ll tag one of them to give you some info on that if you’d like. As far as the insulin dose, if you can get the spreadsheet set up (we’ll be glad to do it for you if you need us to) it will help us see if your dose is too high, or too low. There are several high dose conditions as well as certain meds that need to be dosed around.

4. Ambermom

Ambermom New Member

Hi Sharon
    Amber is on 1.25 vetmedin, 12.5 furosemide 2x a day and 5 mg of benazepril 1x a day.
    Her kidney function still good and all her other blood counts are good except for sugar of course and continuing weight loss. She is down to 13 pounds from 17lbs in four months.
    Amber is eight years old.
    Could you send me a link for the spreadsheet so I can start one? Thank you so much for any advice you can give me!

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

6. Ambermom

Ambermom New Member

Thank you everyone! I am buying more prozinc today and increasing from 7 units to 7.5 units due to amber’s continuing weight loss. The vet was alarmed that I was giving her 7 units 2x a day which caused me to hesitate the increase, (she started at 3,5 four months ago). but it clearly isn’t working even at 7 units during the past 4 wks. I will slowly increase. How long does she stay at dose? She is in the high 300s and peaks at 288, so it looks like she may need more than one adjustments.
    Any advise would be great. I will set up the spreadsheet today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.