? Insulin storage

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Priya&Missy, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Priya&Missy

Priya&Missy Member

PG&E is planning on shutting off power where I live (for up to a week!) and I’m wondering how long insulin can be safely kept at room temp?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Lantus pens are designed for humans to throw in a pocket or purse and carry around with them. The only problem is that it was only tested for 28 days so they tell you that's all it's good for. It will probably last much longer though. (if the numbers start to creep up without any other reason, it's time to suspect the insulin is losing efficacy)

As long as it's clear with no floaties, it's probably fine.....but you might want to get a cooler so you can keep it cool while the power is out. Don't let it sit directly against the ice though. You don't want it to freeze.

You might want to get one of these Frio Insulin Wallets for times like these though. All you need is water to keep your insulin cool.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I would also suggest getting a Frio wallet.

5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

A week? We lived in a highrise during the blackout in 2003, at the time it was the world's second biggest blackout affecting an estimated 10 million people.
    We've all lived through unintentional blackouts but PG&E takes the cake. Their profit over safety policies were mostly to blame for the last big California wildfires. Is this what's affecting you? PG&E shutdown: 800,000 people to lose power to prevent California wildfires. Pacific Gas & Electric plans to cut power to 34 northern and central counties in state’s biggest-ever preventive outage. That is shameful but at least you're not drinking hexavalent chromium in your tap water anymore, right?
    From everything from CPAP Machines to home dialysis I cannot see the morality or legality in this.
    Anyway, aside from getting hold of a Frio wallet you could use a small ice chest. Use a block of ice rather than cubes and layer a towel on top of the ice. Get a thermometer from an aquarium supply store to keep a careful eye on the temperature. It doesn't and shouldn't be fridge cold, just cool. (I was a Caninsulin user)
    Like Trump said, this is all your fault anyways. Guy obviously has no use for cats. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.