Insulin timing flexibility?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Motska (GA), Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Motska (GA)

Kris & Motska (GA) Member

Motska is currently on Vetsulin .5 units 2x per day. Since I'm going to eventually have to switch her off of it anyway, I'd like to do it in the next week or two and will be having that discussion with the vet today (to try and get him to prescribe Lantus).

The problem is that, like a lot of other people, the economy is causing me some financial problems and I REALLY need to get a second job. I am concerned about the fact that I will not be able to keep to a 12/12 schedule with her insulin, because I won't be home on time in the evening (that is -- if I can even find a 2nd job). I hate the fact that this situation will cause me to not be able to care for her properly, but at the same time, having to live out of my car would also prevent me from caring for her properly!

Any suggestions or comments regarding irregular dosing schedules -- this whole situation is really making me nervous!

(originally posted on Lantus support board)

Thank you!

Kris

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

well, PZI is more forgiving of a non-12 hour schedule - it does not build up a "shed" like Lantus and Levemir.

Norton was on PZI for a while - we used a sliding scale that was customized for him (he was a high dose acro-cat).

With the sliding scale, you basically adjust the dose according to what kitty's blood sugar is at shot time, and you can dose as close as 6 hours IF THE BLOOD SUGAR IS RISING (caps for emphasis).

So... more testing is needed in order to tell in the blood sugar is rising or falling.

We would give Norton a shot at ~7 a.m., 5 p.m. and if his BG was rising, another shot at 11 p.m. or 12 a.m.

The daily total ended up being about the same -- we did have to make a special spreadsheet -- and use one line per injection -- so two or three lines per day.

To decide if blood sugar was rising or not -- we would test every hour or half hour -- the blood sugar would have to change by at least 20 points (for example... +9 180, +10 205 rising - ok to shoot at +10)

If blood sugar is falling or level -- no shot until later. If +12 from last shot, then traditional rules can apply

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.