insulin types

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by majandra, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

Is there an easy way to explain why there are so many more people using Lantus vs PZI?
    I'm not sure what the difference is between them other than a depot with and seemingly more likely to have hypos on Lantus. Looks like tiny dose increments are more difficult with PZI.

Is either one more forgiving than the other for dosings not exactly 12 hrs apart?

2. Rardito

Rardito Member

I don't use either of those insulins, but I know there is a board on the forum for each type of insulin and they have articles pinned at the top to tell you all about them, so I would review those.

majandra likes this.
  3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You can make small dose adjustments with Prozinc. We often dose in increments of 0.25 units. Prozinc does allow some leeway with shots so if you can't give exactly 12 hours apart, it's okay. It is BEST to give 12 hours apart, but we have had some members with schedules that made that impossible or who have just had to adjust a shot every now and then for whatever reason.

I've never used Lantus, so I can't give you great info on that. I'm not really sure it's more likely to go hypo on Lantus though. With Lantus and Levemir, you can shoot on lower numbers I think and it tends to give a flatter curve that Prozinc. I'm sure if you pop into their forum they can answer some questions for you if you have any! And feel free to drop by Prozinc too if you have any questions we can answer for you!

majandra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.