Insulin without RX

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tiger and the squid, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger and the squid

Tiger and the squid Member

Hello friends, it's been a very long time since I've been here. I put Tiger to rest a few months ago and haven't been able to come back. But I came across this today and I wanted to share.

It's not really related to feline health, per se, but I just wanted to post it somewhere I hoped a lot of people would see it.

Apparently, it is possible to get (relatively cheaply) insulin over the counter at Walmart. An article about it, dated mid-2018

I hope even if this isn't the right/best place for this, someone will see it and try to spread the info.

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I have bought Novolin R at Walmart before. It is very cheap there, compared to my local pharmacy. However, we do not recommend a cat be given R insulin without guidance from someone here who has extensive experience with giving R insulin to a cat. It is useful in certain circumstances, but it is VERY POTENT, and can be easily dangerous without the proper guidance.

3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, in the USA, Novolin N (NPH) can be purchased OTC at Walmart for about $25/vial. It's not really a good insulin for cats but it's better than giving nothing. 70/30 and R can also be purchased but those are to be avoided unless EXTREMELY experienced and have a cat that isn't reacting to any other protocol.

4. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

My cat has been on Novolin N for more than 4 years. During the first 3 I did no testing at all, and never had a hypo event that I was aware of and he was pretty well regulated, at least, as far as his clinical signs [drinking, urinating]. Now that I'm testing a minimum of twice per day, his numbers don't look that great and I headed off a minor hypo several months ago. If the choice is between Novolin N and putting him down, choose the Novolin N.

5. racn1320

racn1320 Member

what aboiunt lantus pens?

6. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Lantus is a really good insulin for cats but we don't use the pen needles. Those only dose in whole units and are allowed a variance to that unit. Kitty doses are changed by .25 units - a whole unit change is WAY too much. We use regular U100 insulin syringes - the same little rubber seal is under the pen cap as what's on the top of a vial.

7. mialia

mialia Member

You can get insulin in both Canada and Mexico without an Rx, Obviously not an option for everyone but putting it out there. Lantus, vetsulin, you name it. You can call a vet across your nearest border for their favorite pharmacy and they'll point you in the right direction. Both can legally ship to the US (not to say the recipient can legally receive) and that's how I've been doing my asthma meds for nearly a decade and my doctors are the ones that call the Canadian pharmacies for the fill. However, shipping insulin is pretty tough and most won't do it because of the temperature control. But walking/driving is easy. Right across both borders in most major areas you'll find a sea of pharmacies that directly address the issues with the pharmaceutical market in the US.

CBP really doesn't bat an eye about the legality - they generally don't even ask. I've never had them ask. But if they do, or they see it, they don't really care if it's for a personal supply and you're not trucking a pallet for resale. They get it. Hell, they probably do the same shopping.

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

A lot of us that use(d) Lantus have been buying it from Marks Marine Pharmacy in Vancouver. They've saved a lot of kitty lives by making insulin affordable for those of us in the US that don't live close enough to the border

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  9. racn1320

racn1320 Member

I use u100 syringed as well. has anyone tried to get lantus without a rx and get a price??

10. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Lantus and Levemir both require a prescription.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.