Insulinx or Other Freestyle Strips for AlphaTrak2

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Alex1313, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Alex1313

Alex1313 New Member

I have questions about meters and strips. First, I have an AlphaTrak and an Alphatrak2. I wanted to just keep the old AT meter as a backup. Does anyone know what to do in order to use the new AT2 strips with the old AT meter when the code on the new AT2 strips is higher than the codes available on the old AT meter? Supposedly the new AT2 strips work with the old AT meter but what about the codes?

Second, I see that the Insulinx strips are supposed to work with the AT2 so I've ordered those because, oh-my-gawd the AT2 strips are so expensive. It looks like Amazon has a limited supply of the Insulinx strips however and that they aren't being made anymore, right? So will any of the other Freestyle brand strips work with the AT2? And when using the Insulinx strips, do you just leave the same code on the AT2?

Thanks

2. Chris & China

Chris & China Well-Known Member

I have no direct experience with these PetSure strips, but the price looks right!

A lot of people here also use the Freestyle Light strips in their AT

Most of us though just use human meters because the cost of the strips is so insane for the pet meters.

3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I saved the following blurb from ADW back when the new AT2 came out:

"If AlphaTRAK users choose not to upgrade to the newer AlphaTrak 2 meter, you can continue to use your original AlphaTRAK meter with the new AlphaTRAK 2 test strips. Use CODE 7 for all species. For the most accurate AlphaTRAK® test results, upgrading to the new AlphaTRAK® 2 meter is suggested by the manufacturer."

Alex1313 likes this.
  4. KrisQ

KrisQ Member

Hi Alex - I've used the AT2 strips that came with the meter and Freestyle Lite strips - there was virtually no difference. I just ordered some Insulinx strips and am anxious to see how they do, because as you pointed out the price point is very different - $30 for 100. If they don't work out, back to the Freestyle Lite strips for me.

There have been a couple of threads here about them and from what I can tell, you use the same code (which is 38 on my AT2). Fingers crossed for both of us.

Alex1313 likes this.
  5. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

So do we know that Insulinx strips are discontinued? I sure hope not, i've been very happy with them! Just ordered 100 on Amazon, best price was about $40 plus tax. So up in price $10 but still a great buy compared to AT strips. Thanks for the heads-up!.

6. Alex1313

Alex1313 New Member

THANK YOU for saving that.

7. Alex1313

Alex1313 New Member

Thank you for the replies about your experiences with them. I appreciate it.

8. Beck and Grandpa (GA)

Beck and Grandpa (GA) Well-Known Member

I used AT2 strips, Insulinx strips, and PetSure strips with my AT2. As far as I could tell, the AT2 and Insulinx strips are the same thing. Side by side, they are identical. The PetSure didn't impress me as much, but that could be just me.

9. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Member

I have been using insulin x and seems to be accurate when compared to AT 2. As for discontinuation I do not know.

10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

They still list the Insulinx meter on freestyles website. You heard it was discontinued?