Internal panic mode

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

what on earth is going on here? Never got a black I thought we were doing our usual bounce after a decent cycle but how can we have such a good night and this today!? All other things seem normal. I am feeling like I am never going to get her regulated much less in remission. Feeling defeated.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Peace Lisa :bighug: I don't have experience with Prozinc, but I wanted to respond. That could have been a wonky strip, not enough or too much blood this reading. It's only one number. The old saying "Diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint" applies. Do not give up hope, do not feel defeated.

What's Little doing right now? Sleeping, eating, playing, looking out the window? Being a cat I'll bet.

Others will chime in, I just don't want you feeling bad about one number, Little is so much more than a number.:)

3. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

Hang in there, you're doing great :bighug:

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Don't let one black number drive you crazy. It's one reading. Just keep on. I can't see the spreadsheet.. Make sure the url is complete and you have it set to public

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Oh Lisa, I'm so sorry. I know I would cry after seeing a number like that. I'm glad you did the second test and got the 433. Honestly, I would delete the 502 and put in the second reading. My hunch is it's the more accurate number.

You are not defeated. This is a process, and Little likes to dance to her own tune around here.

What do you think for tonight? Do you want to hold the dose (you did have a good cycle last night), or do you want to raise it? If you raise, you could end up in the limes, but if that happens, you know what to do. If it was me, I think I'd be flipping a coin to decide.

Also, today might be a good time to switch that meter ;). Sounds like your heart to use a break from those rosy colors.

6. Lisa and little

Thanks guys. I’m just very emotional today as I thought and hoped we were getting somewhere. I don’t know why you cannot see my SS. Have never had that issue before. Her numbers overall today are crappy. We spent most of the day together snuggling and she seems fine. I’m inclined to stick with the dose tonight as yesterday’s numbers were all pink and she did good last night. Could this just be a super bounce? I deliberately got a +7 last night to see if she went even lower so then I’d expect the bounce but she held Perry steady so I am confused

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  7. Djamila

I can see your spreadsheet, so my hunch is that was just a temporary glitch with the connection.

It could be a bounce, but it's still icky. I do think the 502 was likely a bad reading, although if there is a trend up, your PMPS might be around there anyway. Or she could surprise us and just be flat the whole cycle (in which case it is definitely a bounce and you can try to just shake it off).

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Lisa and little

I’m sad especially if it is a bounce from blues and not greens. My new meter has not arrived yet. Should be here any day. My question about that is from what I understand, the human meters will read lower but the AT2 is more accurate for pets. That said aren’t the lower readings from human meters just putting lipstick on the truth? If that’s the case lower numbers are not going to make me feel better. once I switch and who even knows if the meter I ordered is going to be accurate at all. Do I just trust blindly? Thank you for always being there and talking me off my ledge. I am so grateful for everyone here. Could not do this without y’all (just hung up with my friend from Texas. Lol)

Djamila likes this.
  9. Djamila

Yes. But it will make you feel better. Trust me. :p Plus, the dosing guidelines were written for the numbers from a human meter, so the results will quite often be more predictable and easier to interpret, and therefore easier to know what to do next.

Some folks have done side-by-side tests with the AT2 and their human meter for a week or so to feel better about the accuracy issue. Another strategy is to do a curve cycle once/week using the AT2 (and putting that on a different page of your spreadsheet) to stay in touch with the pet-specific numbers and communicate with their vets. Most people switch and never look back.

You don't have to switch if you don't want to. I just find it easier to interpret the spreadsheets for cats using human meters, and I don't know anyone who has made the switch that wasn't glad they did it. It compresses the range of results so this whole dance just starts to feel calmer and more manageable.

But again, it's entirely up to you. There isn't anything magical or better about either meter. It comes down to what you feel best about. :bighug: It just seemed like you could use a little smoother ride today, and that is one way to make everything better pretty quickly. :cat:

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  10. Lisa and little

Ok. The fact that dosing guidelines were written for s human meter makes sense to me. I am switching regardless more because of convenience and cost even though that may sound terrible. To know my 400 strips, lancets, and a new control solution will ship automatically every 3 months and for $66 bucks.. will be a weight off rather than checking websites everyday for the best prices in strips and fear of running out. Do I need to change my SS to the human meter one once I get it? If so I will need some direction ... or do I just keep on knowing that scary zone is 50 and not 68. Seems like the only difference in the chart

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Must just be me then. A1B12432-DEEE-4CFE-8417-EB5D864CABCE.png

12. Lisa and little

Hmmmm weird

13. Djamila

Doesn't sound terrible at all. This disease is expensive and inconvenient. Any place we can save money, time, or sanity is good!

As for the spreadsheet, when you're reading we can tag Chris or Marge and see if one of them can help you get it sorted out. You could just put in a bar and then manually change anything between 50-68, but I think they can fix it so it goes automatically and save you the hassle.

14. Lisa and little

Hopefully that meter shows up today or tomorrow ...