Intro and a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chicklit, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chicklit

Chicklit New Member

Hi. My name is Shellie and I have two kitties, one of which has just come out of an extended remission from diabetes. Blanco is my sugar cat. He's been a long time sufferer of IBD in various forms. About three years ago, after our food trials failed to help the IBD, the vet started him on anti-inflammatory shots (I don't remember the exact name), which ultimately induced diabetes. We quit the shots, switched vets, and began treating the diabetes with Lantus, 2u every 12 hours. After a little over a month, we were able to reduce to 1u every 12 hours and he ultimately went into remission.

We tried more food trials, and a couple of other methods for trying to control the IBD, none of which worked more than a couple of months. Our vet (who, by the way, has been awesome through this whole thing) suggested trying a low dose steroid that was less likely to induce diabetes. We've had about six months success controlling the IBD, but after a sharp weight drop, I took him in and the BG numbers indicated diabetes again.

Our current plan is to cut back on the steroid pills (but not to go off them completely, as he's miserable with IBD) and go back to treating the diabetes. This time, I've decided to home monitor as I'm worried about the possibility of the diabetes correcting itself again and possibly going into a hypoglycimia. (Read about them, they scare me, I'd rather be monitoring that have something awful happen.)

So two questions. First, I started my own spreadsheet before I joined these forums, but after clicking through some of the spreadsheets here, I'm afraid mine isn't nearly informative enough. Is there a spreadsheet template available for download? I didn't see it on the FAQ, though I've been reading everything for the past couple of days and may have overlooked it.

Second question: I just got my ReliOn Micro monitor and the instructions say to use a control solution for the first test. But there's no control solution in the box, (nor at the store) and the instructions say to call an 800 number for the solution. My husband thinks it's a liability thing and that it's really not necessary. Did anyone else skip the control solution or do I need to call and wait for it to arrive (which would be annoying, as we're supposed to start insulin injections tonight)?

Anyway, I'm so sorry for the long introduction. Thanks for your patience. I've already learned so much from your site, I look forward to learning more.

2. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Welcome Shellie! I can not offer any advice about FD with IBD, but I am sure some folks will chime in soon. ;-) I can tell you that I do use the ReliOn Micro and LOVE it! I did not have anything in my box about a control solution. Maybe call that number just to make sure they didn't change anything.

Do you have a google account? If so, you should be able to click on this link and make your SS. https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjHx5M1mMFP4dGxDX2E4MGVhSmJZaE9ZRkc2SHZabUE&hl=en

Hope this helps!

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Best way to know if the meter works without solution is to test yourself. If you get normal numbers then my guess it's fine. I'd call anyway and ask them to send the solution, it's not a big deal, but will help with the unknown going forward. don't mention you are using this on a cat, just say there was no solution in your packet and would they please send.

Regarding IBD, Maui has that issue. I'm a bit confused as to how steroids will resolve that problem. Unless he thinks he will reduce the inflammation? Still, personally I'd be leery of steroids, especially with a diabetic cat.

Maui's problem was exploding diarrhea and I mean it was several times a day and really bad. The only things that stopped it were removal of all dry food and limiting the flavors of canned food. I started using FF turkey & giblets for several weeks and slowly tried other flavors. But we ate one flavor for weeks with no change. As it was the only way to learn what may or may not work and how to keep her tummy from getting upset.

Today, a year and half later, we have a larger variety of foods AND I'm now making homemade raw, which all has helped. She does get an occasional bout, but it's usually a one time, one day thing and much more manageable than before.

So, I know you did some food trials, but did you try only one flavor for a month? How about raw food? Many IBD kitties due much better on raw. Before I made my own, I tried Feline's Pride (might have been a bit too rich for her) and Nature's Variety.

4. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

5. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Shellie,

I was blissfully ignorant when I landed here so I didn't know about solution and have never used it. I tested myself and all other furry creatures in the household and knew that Harley was the only diabetic.

I would call and get it just in case.

My Harley was diet controlled within 3 weeks so I never had to go any further into this sugar dance.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Robin

6. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi, and welcome to the board.

I would order the control solution but begin using your meter without it.

As a side note ...

Steroids are used to reduce inflammation and also to temper the immune system. IBD has become almost an all-inclusive term (equated with irritable bowel syndrome); to me it means those cases in which there is an immune-mediated disruption of the intestines i.e. immune cells attack intestinal cells. This results in inflammation, which draw more immune cells to the intestines, etc. Steroids break this cycle, or at least slow it down.

If a diet change will solve a cat's diarrhea problem, I'm all for it. Steroids can still help in the short-term to reduce inflammation as the diet is changed; inflammation can lead to scarring and permanent damage. If the cat is suffering from this sort of immune-mediated disease, I would not hesitate to use steroids and work the diabetes around it. I still cringe to think of the two times (twice! because I can be incredibly hard headed) I tried to wean my late cat off of steroids. He suffered terribly, and it took a few weeks of steroid therapy each time to get him digesting his food again.

7. Chicklit

Chicklit New Member

Thanks for the answers, everyone!

I got the spreadsheet set up and I'll order the control solution. We went ahead and tested pre-shot last night (and at +3 and +6) and the pre-shot number was about 50 less than at the vet's office. That seems pretty reasonable to me, especially taking into account stress at the vet's.

I'm keeping an eye open for any behavior changes, but honestly, I'm having some trouble seeing them. I notice he's moving slower and will bring that up with the vet tomorrow. He's very interested in food, but wasn't quite as playful yesterday afternoon. But B and his sister have always been prolific nappers during the day, so I actually get worried when I notice him not napping. He's curled up in his window spot now, so I'm going to hope and pray that he's feeling good.

Thanks for the help everyone!

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks Jess for the explanation.

I always wondered if IBD was the same as IBS (if that's a term), as I honestly don't know what Maui's condition was, but do know that the food change is what corrected it. She still gets occasional bouts, but not like before.

While I stand by the be leery of steroids as a general rule; there is a use for it and as Jess points out in some circumstances it is necessary and the best thing to give a cat and one just has to work the diabetes around it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.