Intro and Preparing to change from Humulin N to Lantus Help?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by myla, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myla

myla Member

Hi All!
    This is our first post. First I'll introduce us. I am Myla and my 15 year old Kitty boy is Purrcie. He is an asthma kitty that ended up with diabetes from the shots he got for asthma a couple years ago. He also has kidney issues from the shots too. His asthma is now controlled with a Flovent inhaler.

He is on low carb wet foods like the FF classics, some wellness, some Naturals and a teeny bit of raw. No dry except for a couple treats(teeny) after his fluids infusion and flovent treatment.

Anyway we've been through a few vets , the first one putting him on Vetsulin once a day, then last fall on Humulin twice a day. I trusted my vet and he had Purrcie on 3 units BID of Humulin. I was never told about home testing and had no idea I should have been doing so. Purrcie had a low BG crash in early May and the vet took him off insulin for ten days, then restarted him on the Humulin-N, first at .5 unit, ten days later 1unit, then 7 days 1.5 units. During this time I started looking on the net for help and learned how to home test. Paige showed me how to make his spreadsheet so I've included a link to it. It's pretty sketchy at first as it is just from the notes I started keeping.

I'm not sure if the Humulin N is the right insulin for him. He's been through so much I don't want to make any more changes that could cause him(and me) more stress. Should he get more stable on Humuin before we change? Or is that why we should change? Can someone look at his SS and give me some guidance please? I'm not sure if I have the settings right so everyone can see it but I'm here to learn so here goes!
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... MAog#gid=0

Myla and Purrcie.

2. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hello Myla :YMHUG: I hope someone can take a look at your spreadsheet and give you some guidance on how you two are doing. (((Hugs)))

3. myla

myla Member

Thanks so much Paige! I hope so too, and so does my little fur kid Purrcie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.