Intro - Kim and Rho

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kimberbee, Jun 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

Hello everyone! I am Kim and my 12yo boy, Rho, was diagnosed with diabetes mid-March. He has always been a big boy (mixed breed stray) of about 16-18lbs. I took him in when I noticed he was peeing a whole lot more than normal.

After a lot of vet visits and what seemed like a few car payments later... He has been on ProZinc (3units 2x/day) and prescription food (Science Diet, m/d dry - weight and glucose management).

I come to this forum looking for some answers - I thought we were managing ok, but Rho hasn't been into his dry food for a few weeks now, which makes it difficult to give his insulin when needed. I went dry over canned because of the 1. price and 2. smell. The vet charges $3/can and the nearest pet store that sells prescription foods is over 30 minutes away.

I'll peruse the forums a bit to see what others are doing, but a nudge in the right direction is appreciated. There is a Pet Supplies Plus in town that I need to head out to later today anyway, so hopefully I can find a suitable, quality canned food that may be an alternative.

Thanks all!!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning Kim and Rho. You will find tons of information on caring for your sugar cat here. Regarding the food issue, I have learned that a low carb wet diet is recommended for the sugar babies. I feed Fancy Feast classics and Friskies pates. Dry food is too high in carbs for our kitties. Additionally, the "prescription" food is not recommended, it's also too high in carbs, as well as too expensive. I also cook chicken breast and Idjit scarfs that up! There is a food chart in a yellow tagged "sticky" at the top up the Main Forum.

Do look around the forums and get familiar with the different "rooms". I encourage you to post your questions in the Main Forum, more eyes to see and get answers to your concerns.

kimberbee likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

post script here: Are you home testing? I hope so, especially if you transition Rho to an all wet food diet, that affects the BG, and you want to monitor that to prevent any hypoglycemic events. We didn't monitor closely enough, and Idjit was sliding right into remission, and we caught him going into hypo just in time. Home testing is the best tool to keeping our kittehs safe.

kimberbee likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Forget the prescription food. Go with wet fancy feast classic or Friskies pate. I know it smells more but it's really so much better for him.

put the money you are saving on food into getting a home glucose meter and strips.

kimberbee and Idjit's mom like this.
  5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome!

kimberbee likes this.
  6. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

Not home testing, as my vet didn't seem to think it was necessary. It's definitely something I'll be looking into asap though!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

7. Idjit's mom

kimberbee likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

About home testing... My vet simply said some test, most don't... Then told me the terrifying things to look for in case of hypo. About six weeks into it, with the encouragement of this group, I finally started. I slept so much better because I wasnt getting up at all hours of the night wondering if she was OK.

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home. Check it out when you get a chance.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    kimberbee likes this.
  9. Idjit's mom

I remember watching your video, more than once, when I first arrived here. It was very helpful and encouraging. Thank you so much for making it and providing the link to new members.

JanetNJ likes this.
  10. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

@Idjit's mom and @JanetNJ

I'm looking at all these links now and will be heading out this afternoon to get errands done and see what other "kitty supplies" I can grab - new food and testing materials hopefully.

I saw your video, Janet, which was very helpful.

The last thing I need to figure out is feeding more than twice a day. If I leave food out, our dog has a mid-day snack. He's 150lbs, and unfortunately, the pet gate I tried isn't holding up...

11. Idjit's mom

Oh no, bad drooler! :) Some people use a auto feeder that only opens to the cat that has a chip or is wearing a special tag. They are more expensive though, and if you were anything like us, we spent a bundle at first on vet, insulin, syringes, testing kit, strips, new food etc. It might be a consideration down the road though. Some cats adapt to it and some are scared of it opening or the sound of it opening. I don't know how skittish Rho would be. What home testing meter are you considering?

12. JanetNJ

Haha keeping the dog out would definitely be a challenge. Other then keeping them in seperate rooms, there are feeders that only open for the pet wearing a special collar. Lol.

If you are going to go for a human meter, many on here use the Walmart Relion Micro or confirm meter.

You will need

1. Relion micro or confirm meter or some other brand that requires a 0.3 size sample
    2. Box of 100 extra test strips
    3. Box of 100 26 or 28 gauge lancets
    4. Cotton cosmetic rounds
    5. Neosporin ointment with pain relief
    6. A treat for you

13. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

@Idjit's mom
    Yes, our newfie is a mighty drooler!! Rho doesn't wear a collar... :nailbiting: Last one he had rubbed a bald spot on his neck, so since he doesn't go outside or try to sneak out, he goes without!! Considering a walmart option as it seems the easiest and cheapest to get started.

@JanetNJ
    #6 is most important. I'm preggo too, so baby's always up for a treat!

JanetNJ likes this.
  14. JanetNJ

Oh! Congratulations on the baby!!! Maybe a few #6's then. When are you due? Do you have other children? My son just turned six this month.

15. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

October 20th. It'll be our first!!

Well, first human baby... Rho will always be my first "baby" :p

JanetNJ likes this.
  16. Idjit's mom

What great news, congratulations! I'm so glad you found FDMB now, so you can get into a routine with Rho, shots, testing, food, before little new 2 foot arrives and you are extremely busy again. I am very excited for you.

kimberbee likes this.
  17. JanetNJ

997BA911-8C48-4728-A92A-302AD4BBF3DD.jpeg
    Good that this happened now and not when you are already sleep deprived from the baby. Hard to learn new routines and deal with stressful stuff on 4 hours of sleep. Those first six months with a baby are rough. Lol. And then you blink and the kid is six. B70351EE-A720-4C45-BC0B-DC6E4802C7F6.jpeg

kimberbee likes this.
  18. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

19. Idjit's mom

What wonderful pictures, Janet! I don't know how you accomplished all of that and survived! :):eek: Your son is adorable, and so is the fur kid. I like how CC is laying on your boy, obviously a love match.

20. JanetNJ

That cat is actually Julie. Julie has loved him since day one. She usually sleeps in the chair next to him at night. He says she's his protector and if anyone ever came in the room to hurt him she would turn into a tiger and get them! His other cat is stormy. She's his playmate. We have six cats inside all together.

Once two years ago we were helping tame two feral kittens to rehome and the one liked him and he said, "Mama, you know why cats like me? Because they know nobody loves them more than me ". Old soul

kimberbee likes this.
  21. Idjit's mom

My mistake, sorry. Julie it is. I'm so glad he's kind and loving this way, I think he has very good instincts, and influences right there at home.

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.