Intro of a Newbie_Lantus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Akelly, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akelly

Akelly New Member

Hello,

My name is Alexis and I live in Maryland (US). One of my kitties, Winnie (spayed female, 11 y.o), was diagnosed with diabetes a little over a week ago.

She was put on Lantus, 2 units which I give at 7:30 am/pm. She had two curves last week at the vet’s office.

I’ve been reading all the information on this site and have made some changes based on all I’ve read. I’ve started Win on a low-carb wet only diet (she was on wet/dry before). However, I have been free choicing it for her right now because I did not yet have my glucometer and I was concerned about her glucose dipping low and me not being able to tell. She is ravenous all the time, and has lost weight and muscle mass (which is what prompted me to bring her into the vet.)

Although I requested a meter from the site that has the free newbie kits, I did it late in the game and it didn’t arrive today (and I have to curve Win tomorrow), so I went out and purchased a Relion meter at Walmart (and I will certainly send back the free meter that is on its way, and thank you so much!) I was so glad to see that Relion was only $9.00. I had it in my head it would be much more expensive.

As soon as I got home I tested Winnie. I got blood first try, and her value at 4:51pm was 44 mg/dl. Since I don’t have the curve results from my vet from last week (but have requested them) I have no idea what her values were pre/post insulin. I thought that might be a little low, so I gave her some chicken breast, which she gobbled up. I am going to check her level again just before her 7:30pm insulin injection, and then check through the evening.

Here are my questions (and if I should post these over on the Lantus board, please let me know.) I know some of the answers may be in all the FAQ information, but I’ve read so much in the past week that I think my head is swimming a little.

*how long before the insulin injection do you do your glucose pretest?

*for a cat not yet regulated, is it OK to let them have access to their food all day, or should you always check glucose, then decide if they should get a snack between their morning and evening meal?

*do they begin to gain weight and does their ravenous appetite get less ravenous as they begin to be more regulated in their levels?

*when I test Winnie again before her 7:30pm insulin, what level would be a red flag to me that perhaps her injection should be modified?

*is there any calibration difference between the glucometers for humans, vs. those for pets?

I have begun Winnie’s spreadsheet and will start to fill in her values as time passes. I’ve looked at several of the list members' SS, and I thought I was getting the hang of understanding what it is I need to look for (as far as what the glucose levels mean), but then I get myself confused because I think I’m over-thinking things. I’m hoping as I get the hang of doing everything, I’ll get my head around how the chart values should look.

Thank you for your help!

Alexis

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm a Lantus user and actually spend the majority of my time on the Lantus Board.

First, test within a few minutes of shot time. Most of us test, feed, and shoot all within a few minutes of each other.

If you get a BG level below 150, DO NOT give a shot. You do not yet have data to give a dose of insulin below the 150 - 180 range. The first reading that you have, providing it's accurate, is a low normal BG level. It's good that you gave your cat something to eat. We typically like to see our cats in numbers that are above 50. It's entirely possible that by changing your cat's diet to low carb (LC) food, Winnie's insulin needs have changed. A BG value in the 40s, in a newly diagnosed cat earns a dose reduction. Please take a look at the dosing protocol and the links in the post for more information on Lantus dosing.

We typically do not feed within 2 hours of shot time. Having food out for Winnie to graze on is fine or you can feed several small meals throughout the day. It's fine.

Appetite and food needs will taper off as your cat becomes regulated.

If you look at this information from the dosing protocol developed by Roomp & Rand at University of Queensland (it's what our Lantus dosing protocol is based on), the last two pages provide information on BG numbers for difference between human & animal glucometer results & dose.

I'd encourage you to get a spreadsheet started. We are very numbers driven on the Lantus board and having a spreadsheet will allow you to keep track of Winnie's test data and will allow us to provide you with any help or input that you may need. Please feel free to join us on the Lantus board. There is a great deal of information in the starred sticky notes at the top of the Lantus board that I suspect you will find very helpful.

3. Akelly

Akelly New Member

OK, thank you.

I am due to test her in about 15 minutes then feed her. I am hoping her results aren't too low. I won't give her her insulin if the level is <150.

I will update her sheet and go over to the Lantus forum and go from there!

Alexis

4. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Welcome, Alexis & Winnie!

we're newbies too, so we dont give advice, but rest assured you have come to the right place. The folks here are extremely helpful and knowledgeable, and can help you thru all this. it's a lot of info to digest, but they've got a lot of help and support just waiting for you and your girl.

My guy is improving with all the help we've found here, and it helps to know you're not alone.

See you in the lantus forum, i'm sure.

Celi & Binks

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hi Alexis, welcome Winnie. Love to see people close to the I95 corridor. You are reasonably close to folks we have in spots like Silver Springs and Baltimore, and not that terribly far from me in Wilmington DE.

Yep, that's rather low for a +9.5.

I test immediately before the shot. In fact, I usually have the syringe all loaded and ready to go while the cat already is there for the test.

I am taking care of foster Bastian for another member right now, and he is unregulated and ravenous. Unlike some advice you will get, I free feed wet food just about 24 hours/day. (Not with Bastian, though, because he never leaves anything behind. He gets 1/4 to 1/2 can every hour or two.) I would rather shoot around the food (although I don't have to with my well regulated Ennis), than have a diabetic cat that isn't getting adequate nutrition from their food cry in hunger.

Conventional wisdom says yes. It's not been my experience because Ennis always has been a big eater, and I just can't imagine the day Bastian will stop whining for food.

I agree with Sienne. 150 to 180 is the range, although I tend to tell newbies 180.

Some say there is. Some say there isn't. Many many folks here use the Relion and accept the numbers as they come out. The important thing is to find a glucometer you like and stick with it. It is wise to have a back up meter, and probably the same model as you everyday meter. Also wise to keep a fresh battery on hand.

6. Denise & Sidney

Denise & Sidney Member

Hi Alexis and Winnie,

We are newbies also. It can get confusing, frustrating and scary but this board is a lifesaver. I've learned that sometimes you just need to take a deep breath. Everyone on here is so willing to share their knowledge. Sidney is on Lantus also so I will see you on the Lantus board.

7. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB -- you've already got some good answers, so i won't write a big long post

Since my cats are all grazers, I leave canned food out for them all day & night long. My "civilians" (non-diabetics) eat the same low carb high protein canned food that my diabetics eat (I adopted two diabetics through this board after my Norton passed away from cancer).

8. Akelly

Akelly New Member

Here were the results I got last night:

PMPS, 64 - did not give her insulin
    +2, 59
    +4.5, 88

This morning:
    AMPS, 234 - gave 2 units
    +4, 174

I think my biggest fear was testing her myself. But, as everything I've read here says, it's not been difficult and she hasn't really noticed the poke. It's very empowering (and I have to say, in a strange way, somewhat addicting. I keep thinking 'I wonder what her level is now,' and want to go poke her :)

Lex

9. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB Alexis & Winnie

You have been given great advice.
    Here is the link for you to get you started on a ss (spreadsheet) in case you did not find it.
    Creating a spreadsheet

It is very common for an unregulated kitty to be very hungry and the food they are
    eating doe not get used by their body properly.
    We used the Relion meter and were very happy with it. Where you find you will be
    spending the money is in the test strips - which are very reasonable for the Relion, and
    make sure you have a very nice stock on hand.

Question for you. How long ago did you take the dry food away from her and
    which wet food are you feeding her.
    Have you checked out the food list?

Glad to hear after such a short time you find testing addiciting. Many of us are
    testaholics as you were able to see from looking at some spreadsheets.
    Just to make you aware that you do not need to go to the vet and have them
    do a curve on Winnie. You can do it at home.

Try and get your ss up and running so you and Winnie can get all of the help.
    You are in the best place to be.

10. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi Lex,
    welcome to FDMB :mrgreen:

Looks like your already getting into the swing of this.
    You've received some good advice.
    Looking at your figures last night, it looks as if you need to cut the dose.

Lantus builds a shed, so by missing the shot, the bg's went up. To prevent a rollercoaster, I would cut down the next dose to 1u, even if Winnie reads at 200+ again on your next preshot.

What you do need to do is get some keto diastix.These test for keytones.Do this at least once or twice a week (dipstick in her pee) until she is regulated.Can get them fromany pharmacy, their not expensive.

I too was addicted to thetesting and felt safer when I knew what a dose was doing.
    The wet food only is the main reason you will have seen a significant reduction in her numbers alongside the fact that you may hve caught her FD early and are using an insulin that has had tremendous results in cats :mrgreen:

Stick with your guide of 150 until you get a good weeks worth of readings (depends on your opportunities for testing. Getting a +6 really helpfulas this is usually the lowest number in the cycle)
    The other possibility is that you have a 'late nadir' kitty. This is where her lowest bg is at the end of the cycle. Not many cats have this but again through testing you can sus this within a matter of days.

Anything your not sure of, just post (can put Lantus in your post line and other Lantus users or Lev like me will reply.Levemir and Lantus are almost identical in action and are dosed using the same protocol.)

Happy poking and scritches to Winnie :D

11. Akelly

Akelly New Member

Yes, I printed off Janet & Binky's list and went to the store to get some locarb wet. I weaned the dry from everyone's diet over a two day period (being sure everyone is eating wet, no vomiting, etc.) I believe the last day anyone had an offering of dry was this past Sunday. Since then only wet has been offered, but free choice (I have other non-diabetic cats as well.)

I am working on that one now and am hoping to get it into my signature line by the end of today's curve.

Luckily, I seem to have one of the more progressive vets (based on some things I've read here) and they actually pushed me to begin to curve her at home and I'm glad they did. Not only because of cost, but it's so much easier on the animal, and the reading is that much more reliable, since additional stress isn't skewing the readings.

12. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Nice going Lex and Winnie...

13. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Nice going Lex and Winnie...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.