Intro to Duke the Maine Coon

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MaineCoon Mama, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaineCoon Mama

MaineCoon Mama New Member

Hey everyone! I have been following this forum off and on for several years but new to posting and actually creating a login. Duke is my beloved 12 year old Maine Coon. He was first diagnosed with diabetes in September 2013. This was after some other significant health problems we just barely got him through (including a rare flea borne infection).

He went into remission in June 2014 after getting attacked outside (he is not an outdoor cat, just decided to let himself out when one night when the roommate didn't latch the door!) and received antibiotics. We were having a lot of trouble getting him controlled at that time and I always wondered if perhaps he had some smoldering pancreatitis.

In February 2015, he started back on the diabetes course. We have had a very difficult time getting it controlled. He has lost weight and muscle mass and you can generally tell diabetes is taking its toll. We love our vet but it is evident the vet is not well educated on nuances of feline diabetes.

This past weekend we almost lost him and don't really have any clear answers as to his sudden decline except for dehydration perhaps secondary to DKA?

That is a long introduction but what has led me here tonight! I plan to start fresh as if this was new diagnosis to try to figure out his current cycle. I will definitely be posting for advice in the other threads!

Nice to meet everyone!!

2. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome to the forum

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi, MaineCoon Mama.

I'm sorry to read about the near miss you had the weekend before last. How are you and Duke fairing? :bighug:

Mogs

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you think he is having issues with possible ketones, please pick up some KetoDiaStix, or generic, asap, from your local pharmacy so you can test his urine for ketones. You may find they are behind the counter and you'll have to ask for them. More than trace ketones are an urgent situation.
    Also know that 2 of 3 types of ketones have detectable odors - either fruity or like nail polish remover - so if you are smelling either of those, your cat is still at risk. See my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for some tips on urine testing, plus some other assessments you may find helpful.
    We strongly advocate home blood glucose testing with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the Target Up and Up or the Walmart Relion Confirm or Relion Confirm Micro, matching test strips, and lancets marked for alternate site testing (26-28 gauge and more likely to get a blood drop starting out).

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.