Intro

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ShannonP, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShannonP

ShannonP New Member

Hi, my name is Shannon and we have a 12 yo cat named Wesley that was diagnosed almost a week ago as being diabetic. He is currently on ProZinc, 2u every 12 hours. The vet told me I didn't need to test him and to just give it to him every 12 hours. I did some research and I'm glad I didn't listen to her. He has had a couple of instances in the 75-85 range but most of the time he is in the 280-380 range. They had to order Hills m/d but in the meantime I have been giving him low carb (<10% carbs) Fancy Feast. He lost a bit of weight before being diagnosed, hopefully this will help bring it up some and help him get regulated.

Jeanne & Dottie and Critter Mom like this.
  2. Georgie

Georgie Member

Welcome Shannon & Wesley :)
    Your vet sounds like my vet. Mine said the SAME things.... Do not listen to her when she says you do not need to test. You certainly DO need to test. At the very least BEFORE each of the shot times. Seriously insulin is no joke. I have learned that on this board for sure.

My vet also gave me Hill's... I found (my opinion) its overpriced junk. Where's the real meat in it? They should not eat dry food ever either. As soon as I read the boards here and stopped all dry food and stopped Hill's food and got better wet food with low to no carbs my kitty doesnt need his ProZinc. Each kitty is different, but just stick with your Fancy Feast Pates... Test his BG before each shot and see what happens. It really isn't actually necessary to feed the prescription diets.

Again welcome to the boards you are in the right place.. SO many helpful people here!

Jeanne & Dottie and Critter Mom like this.
  3. ShannonP

ShannonP New Member

Hi Georgie! Thank you! When I saw the 80 BG come up I almost threw up at the idea I would have given insulin to him if I had listened to her.

Wesley is actually not my cat, rather, he is my 9 year old son's cat. Getting this regulated is even more important to me because of that.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Shannon and Wesley,

Welcome. We have a protocol for ProZinc. It is in my signature in blue. So glad you are testing and have changed the diet. I would watch his pre shot numbers carefully so people do see levels drop by 100+ points after a diet change. We suggest new diabetics not get a shot if under 200. Instead, stall. Wait 20 minutes without feeding and retest to make sure the number is rising, not falling, and over 200.

The other number to watch for is the nadir - the lowest point in the cycle. Usually with ProZinc, that is 5-7 hours after the shot. If it is under 50 on a human meter or 68 on a pet meter, you need to watch carefully and intervene to bring the number back up, with regular food or - if it continues to drop, with higher carb food or honey.

You can return the Hills or just not accept it, saying he is doing well on the wet low carb. Pet food companies will take back food.

Read and ask questions. We would love to help you help Wesley.

Georgie and Critter Mom like this.
  5. Georgie

Georgie Member

The same thing happened to me. The first time I preshot tested Georgie, he was at 76!
    I was about to shoot him too! I know the feeling. It is terrible but crisis averted!! :)

6. ShannonP

ShannonP New Member

I am trying to convert my simplistic tracking over to the forum template. I'm so confused! :) What is AMPS vs PMPS? Morning and evening BG readings? I can't find anything on how to use the SS, just the set up into my Google Drive

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

AMPS is the morning shot number. You test, shoot and feed. PMPS is the evening number. +1 is a test one hour after the shot, +6 is a test 6 hours etc. U is the units of insulin given. In the notes, add anything that might change the levels. Like a visit to the vet, or a hairball etc.

After you get the numbers in, be sure to save it to your computer, under Favorites or Bookmarks. It is the only one that data can be added to and only you can add the data.

Georgie likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Shannon. Welcome to you, your son, and extra-precious Wesley. :)

Can you let us know the meter you're using to test blood glucose, please? (Human meter or pet meter?).

The spreadsheet's divided into morning and evening 12-hour cycles (most people dose twice a day).

AMPS - pre-shot blood glucose test result. (Routine is to test, then feed, then give insulin).
    U = Morning dose of insulin.
    +1, +2, etc. - test result for x hours after insulin dose. (For example, if you test BG four hours after insulin was given, put the test result in the +4 column on the morning cycle.)

You then have PMPS for the evening pre-shot test and the following U, +1, +2, etc. are for the evening cycle dose and test results.

If you get stuck with the spreadsheet, post for some more help. :)

Mogs

Georgie likes this.
  9. ShannonP

ShannonP New Member

Thank you Mogs! I think I got it! I updated my signature with the link to the one using the template too. Hopefully I got it right!

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Critter Mom

Spreadsheet and signature lookin' good from over here, Shannon. :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  11. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Hills M/D canned is actually too high in carbs for a diabetic cat. The only prescription diet that is appropriate for a diabetic is Purina DM canned. But, it's pretty much the same thing as Fancy Feast so there's no point wasting money on it.

I would either tell your vet you changed your mind about feeding it, or return it and tell them your cat wouldn't eat it (if you don't feel like arguing with your vet). A lot of cats don't like the prescription diets anyway, so it's not a big deal.

12. ShannonP

ShannonP New Member

Thank you Julia!! Hopefully they will do a credit, it's not like I won't use it! ;)

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Sounds like you're doing everything right, Shannon. The folks on this forum are well experienced in keeping their furkids alive and in good health. Vets are overworked and rely too much on PetFood companies and the Pharmaceutical industry. It's like letting a fox guard the henhouse.

You've found good family. WELCOME!

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. ShannonP

ShannonP New Member

Thanks Jeanne. I'll be honest, I don't have a wealth of trust in this vet. Hearing that she was wrong about the food doesn't surprise me.

The vet we normally see at this practice? Definitely, the one we saw when he was diagnosed? Not so much. She spent much of the initial exam confirming that yes, it was probably diabetes but we needed a blood test (no issue there) and then going on to have the "quality of life" discussion in front of my 9 year old! Cue up a devastated little boy who spent most of the evening in tears thinking his cat was going to die that night! When the blood tests came back the next day and I asked about home testing she said no, not to because cats don't like it! I know Wesley doesn't like it but getting a dose when he doesn't need it would probably be worse. Grrrrr

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. Critter Mom

I could crown that vet! :mad:

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.