Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencercat

Spencercat New Member

Hi! My cat, Spencer, was diagnosed with diabetes on Saturday. He is 17 or 18 years old. He also has a UTI and elevated kidney levels. The vet asked us to come back in 3 weeks for more testing. I am scared and I have no idea what is best for my cat...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  2. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

Hi Spencercat, welcome to the forum! We all started where you are, and know what you're going through.
    Very similar with my kitty, she is 16.5 and was diagnosed just before Thanksgiving. She also had a UTI.
    Did your vet start you on insulin? Do you know what his blood glucose levels were? What diet are you feeding currently? There are some great recommendations for food that are not very expensive. Many of us feed Fancy Feast Classics, which you can buy at any grocery or pet store. With kidney issues you need to be a little more careful, but there are still plenty of good options.
    Diet change an clearing up the UTI can have a significant impact on blood glucose levels.

There's tons of information around here so read around, but these forums are also full of friendly people so don't be afraid to ask anything and everything. Some of the long-timers can help get you on track!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  3. Spencercat

Spencercat New Member

Thank you Shenandoah! The Vet did not start him on insulin yet, she said the infection had to clear first. I believe the insulin will start after our next check-up. I believe his blood glucose levels are in the high 400s but I am pulling that from memory so it may not make any sense. I changed from purina dry food to a grain free dry food I found at the local pet store. Along with some grain free fancy wet food because the Walgreens had sold out of fancy feast! Spencer has to have some dry food in his life or else he loses his tiny kitty mind. He seems to like both new foods.

4. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Welcome Spencer and Spencer's human. First thing that I would suggest is to read www.catinfo.org

There is so much information here regarding diet and there is a section there regarding UTI. If you can start him on low carb, wet food and low phosphorous food (for the kidneys) now, it should drop your BG numbers and you might as well do that now since you have not started insulin yet. Also you can search for Tanya's CKD website and they have lots of information regarding kidney issues.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Good insulin are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

6. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Just wanted to say welcome! And please don't worry. You're already off to a good start by joining the forum! There are lots of helpful ppl on here!
    How was the UTI diagnosed? Did they do a culture and sensitivity?

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.