Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brittany & Liberty

Brittany & Liberty Member

Hi, I'm Brittany and my 11 year old cat Liberty was just diagnosed today with diabetes. Came as quite a shock since we went in just to get his joints checked out because he's older and was acting like he was hurting. I went through the food list and am ready to go shopping and try to get this thing under control! Any advice other members could give me would be greatly appreciated. As of right now he is not on any insulin but my vet wants me to change his diet and see how it goes from there

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Good luck with the food transition-- if you have any questions about that or anything else, come on over to Feline Health!

4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Poor old man! Don't worry, we can help to get him feeling better. Be sure to do the food transition slow if he has a sensitive tummy.

If you've looked around the site already, you see that most of us test at least three times a day -- before each shot and at bed at the least. We can certainly help you get started with that right away, you will get a more accurate number when testing at home, and it will help keep him safe.

Do you know what his Blood sugar number was at diagnosis, and how long the vet wants to wait before potentially starting insulin? Feel free to answer that here, and then any other specific questions can go in the main health forum.

Welcome!
    Sandi&whisper.

5. Brittany & Liberty

Brittany & Liberty Member

His blood sugar number I think was around 450 but i'm not exactly sure because I dont have the papers with me. The vet wanted to wait a couple weeks and see how he was doing but I am actually going to have to bring him in tomorrow because he hasnt ate anything today and the vet said he probably needs insulin.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Yikes. Not sure why he didn't start insulin right away, but don't wait too long. That's high. Normal is under 150.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.