Introducing Annie: How to Get Blood for Glucose Testing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Barbara Boughton, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara Boughton

Barbara Boughton New Member

Hi Everyone. Just introducing my cat Annie, age 16. She was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago, and also has mild kidney disease. She was on insulin and a special diet but the last time I took her to the vet, her test was in the normal range. Then she got sick stopped eating and was hiding. She is now back to health after some fluids and TLC. The vet told me to stop the insulin as she may be in remission since we pulled back on giving her a steroid she was on for asthma. The vet sold me a home blood glucose testing kit, an AlphaTrak, plus some lancets and also needles, and told me it was a good idea to try to get at least one glucose reading at home. However Annie is not a good bleeder. When the vet techs tried showing me how to get her blood it took them 3 tries with a needle.

I have tried at home also with both the lancet and needle, 3 times today, actually. She bled but the blood went into her fur and I could not get enough on the test strip. I rubbed her ear quite a bit before I pricked her. Any suggestions? She is now freaked out and hiding, and I am freaked out and discouraged, as the only other option is taking her to the vet for a glucose curve which costs $250.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome
    I dab a very little of Vaseline on my finger and rub it on the ear when I will test. That helps the blood to bead up vice being sucked into the full.
    Also make sure you firmly backup the ear when you prick/
    Most of use here test our cat's BG before each shot and periodically between shots and record the BGs and other info in a spread sheet that can be viewed by others. To create the SS see:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/

3. Barbara Boughton

Barbara Boughton New Member

Hi what does it mean when you say firmly backup the ear? put something behind it?

Barbara

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes. Many people use either a cotton ball or napkin. It is just to give the ear support while you are poking her. You can also use your finger, but the downside is if you go through the ear, you end up poking yourself. Find the way that works best for you and Annie.

Also, give her a low carb treat after testing, even if you are not successful. This helps to associate testing with something good. Soon she may be reminding you it is time to test. ;)

5. Louellen

Louellen Member

I use 2 of those cotton pads that you can get at any dollar store or Walmart (usually used for taking off make-up/nail polish...round). I have pricked myself a few times without using them (i.e.: just my finger). Don't want to get your blood mixed in with kitty's! ;)

Our vet uses a roll of tape (medical tape) but, I found that bothered her more than it helped. However, the first few times, I wrapped a paper towel around the roll of tape and it got me started.

Ears will bleed more easily 1) if warmed and massaged (towards the outer edge of the ear). 2) after doing it for awhile, they WILL bleed easier. :)
    You can warm the ear by using a warm washcloth or, a sock with some dry rice in it, put into he microwave to just warm...NOT hot. (Test with your own hand...should just feel warm).
    I find massaging her ear towards the outer edge not only warms it up but, also brings blood flow to the area so that you can get that blood more quickly and easily. It WILL happen with time, patience and trials. I didn't believe it either but, it really does! :)

Play around to see what feels right for you. All of us have to find out own ways to make it easier for us. Some use the "clicker lancer" (meaning, we use it with the cap and spring loaded) and others do it "free handed" (meaning we use either the lancet that comes with the meter without the cap and just poke or a 29 gauge needle, hand held). It's all on how you feel best. Vet techs are so experienced with it that they will "free hand it" without problem. When first starting...we just have to experiment to see which way we feel best. I just the actual lancet with the "click" as Morrigan doesn't mind the sound (some cats freak out with that sound but, Morrigan freaks out with the sound of the meter telling me it's ready! :rolleyes: :banghead: Go figure! o_O )

And who knew that I'd be giving some tips when most people here had to scrape me down off the ceiling when I first came here in April. :woot:;):p

You can post now to the Main Forum as that is where members tend to check the most and answer questions more. You're in good hands here. :)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.