Introducing Benny

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by girlboheme, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. girlboheme

girlboheme Member

hi everyone, my cat Benny, was diagnosed with diabetes in January of this year. I thought I would share our journey thus far.

Benny is an amazing cat. He is a rescue cat that had been damaged pretty badly by a dog when I got him and he was in very rough shape. his back legs were damaged around the hip area and it made him have difficulty walking properly and jumping. so we have stairs around the house for him to get up on things. He is also the sweetest, most loving cat ever. He looks cranky and rough but he is the complete opposite. I am so blessed.

I think that Benny thought he would never have a regular supply of food so he ate and ate and ate until Benny weighed 17 pounds. well he and I both develop symptoms of diabetes starting last August and because we had similar symptoms. I was clueless that it could be our bodies. I thought perhaps we were drinking so much because it was dry in the house obviously in hindsight I was incorrect. I had very severe diabetes by the time I finally ended up in the hospital in November and I realized at that point that Benny probably had diabetes too.

At this time he was looking as miserable as I felt and I was unable to afford to take him in and i was so worried that I barely could function. He went from 17.8 lbs to 10.6 lbs in 3 months. He was finally diagnosed and they had me giving him 3 units of basic insulin twice a day. I had his levels checked for four weeks in a row until I ran out of money and was unable to bring him in until just a few weeks ago. About a week before we went in, I changed his dosage to 4 units because he was looking terrible. So thin and sickly. Apparently I did the right thing.

I was sent home with instructions to fatten my old tomcat up and that's been what I've been concentrating on getting correct for several weeks now. I started him and my other three cats on wellness no grain because my other cat has a sensitive stomach. So far its working out well. We've gone from dry to soft and from grazing to two meals a day. I use my extra meter to check Benny's glucose when I can't get to the vet.

I just wanted to share our story. Benny has gained some weight and I'm very meticulous about how much they get because my other cat needs to gain weight after the issues we had with iams and the other two are overweight. Benny is also a much happier boy.

So. There you are. Benny is glad to have shared his story.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    Reason for edit: not sure why it was totally in bold but fixed it ;)
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    It is good that yo are feeding canned.
    What insulin are you using?
    What is current does?
    Do you test Benny's blood sugar/glucose (BG) at home> Most of us here do using a human meter.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    With a human glucometer, you want the lowest glucose to be above 50 mg/dL. This low point, or nadir varies with the insulin type. Humulin or Novolin NPH or N has a nadir in the +3 to +4 hours post-shot. ProZinc PZI, Lantus, and Levemir generall have a nadir in the +5 to +7 hours post shot. Whenever possible, try to get a test or two during those time periods.
    See my signature link Glucometer Notes for details.

4. girlboheme

girlboheme Member

I use a true result meter. I use novolin n and he gets 4 units in morning and 4 at night. I have tested him but I don't do it regularly but I am planning to. The Vet said she would prefer if he was given 4.5 but I can't afford the syringes with the half marks. She said if I didn't have them to give him four and i have been doing that.

But, this is also why I want to do curves at home. I can't afford to go in that often but I am determined. I want him to be as healthy and happy as he possibly can be and we need to get this under control. I feel like I've been running blindly ever since this started. I was never sure of what I was doing and felt like a terrible mother because I couldn't afford to bring him in regularly. I do feel like its finally becoming more controlled but I'm so not there yet.

Thank you for the links.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Novolin NPH typically lasts only 6-8 hours in the cat.
    For safety, always test before you give insulin, and do not shoot below 200 mg/dL.
    The lowest glucose post-shot, or nadir, is generally around +3 to +4 hours after you've injected him (for Novolin or Humulin NPH, aka N)
    Home testing will show you how it works in him.

Depending on your state, you can buy U-100 syringes direct from the pharmacy. If an Rx is needed, get one from the vet, then do some comparison shopping.
    Here's one place: American Diabetes

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  6. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

Hi there! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm not an expert as my sugar baby was just diagnosed in April. BJM / Larry and Kitties et al., can give you the best advice. Glad you're on the forum now. I found doing the home blood glucose testing to be very effective for my sugar baby. Initially my vets wanted to do all the testing for Tigz, but once I showed them I was able to do this effectively (even though I was using a human blood glucose meter) vs their AlphaTrak glucose meter, they were on-board. They are very happy with his progress. I'm sure the experts here can give you the advice you need for Benny.
    Welcome aboard!

7. girlboheme

girlboheme Member

Thank you for all the information! The only reason I have to give him Novolin N is my budget doesn't allow for anything else. However, I have diabetes and I'm on Levemir. If he can use the same (I assume it is the same) then I can use one of mine. There is no other way I could afford to get him without insurance covering it like it does mine. And I don't use mine regularly because I'm keeping it under control at the moment.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes, he could use the Levemir.
    Another insulin that might be within in your budget is BCP PZI.

9. girlboheme

girlboheme Member

I think I would like to start him on levemir. I honestly rarely use mine and they keep for a year. Not sure when i am going to start him on it and not sure if he is given same amount or how long it lasts when compared to novolin n.

I am going to do a bit of a curve today. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. I'm embarrassed. I have read all these stickies, read glossary, looked at peoples spreadsheets and I'm overwhelmed. I don't even know what I'm looking at. I am going to go over it again today. I can only do curves on weekends because I am not home from 7:30-5:30 everyday. Work. But I can check his blood before and after evening meal.

But, just since we upped his insulin to 4 units and I've changed to feeding him canned twice a day, he already looks like a new cat. I'm astounded. I was ordered to make him gain weight and can already see a difference after a few weeks. He's even walking so much better.

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Levemir is a depot insulin, so there are some tricks to using it. Check out the sticky posts at the top of the Lantus/Levemir forum.
    For cats, we shoot twice a day - their metabolism is faster than human metabolism, so the shot won't last 24 hours.

11. girlboheme

girlboheme Member

My curve did not happen today. But Im praying for tomorrow. Benny was uncooperative this morning and I was having repeated sleep attacks. I have Narcolepsy, so things can be a bit challenging at times. I am try again shortly. I still have to figure things out but I do see what you meant about the levemir and how it works. Going to do some more reading. Thank you again for the advice!

12. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Girlboheme and welcome to you and Benny. He is a lucky boy indeed to have such a loving mom. :)

I note that you suffer from narcolepsy. It's not a condition that I know anything about. How does it affect you? Do you lose consciousness? If yes, for how long?

13. girlboheme

girlboheme Member

Narcolepsy is a neurological disorder where your brain is unable to determine normal sleep awake times because you are missing hypcretin, which should replenish itself but does not in people with N. So we don't sleep well at night, and our rem is immediate rather than 90 min into sleeping, so we don't feel like we've slept, no matter how many hours. I can fall asleep in weird or public places and sometimes with little to no warning. People with narcolepsy feel like they have been awake without a nap from anywhere from 48-72 hours all the time and with out medications we can't function properly. Drive, work, socialize etc. That is the symptom that affects us most. And there is the Cataplexy which is what you are talking about. It is where you are triggered by high emotion and/or severe exhaustion and your knees buckle and you lose all muscle tone. Most don't realize we are conscious and can hear, we just can't move. Some of us collapse completely or slump over when sitting. It doesn't last long. Usually a few seconds to a minute. But every time its embarrassing and scary. My cataplexy just started getting worse so I'm still not used to losing control of my body to that degree.

Its very challenging when you are too exhausted to take care of yourself and you have four cats and all have special needs of some sort. I put them before me for the most part. And my house is a mess lately! My narcolepsy has gotten worse this last year. But trying new meds and feeling hopeful!

14. Critter Mom

Yikes! That's a lot to deal with. Thanks for telling us a little about what you have to contend with.

I can empathize somewhat on the fatigue front: I have chronic PTSD so suffer from major sleep deprivation and consequent exhaustion. Such things can be very life-limiting and most certainly make day-to-day living very 'challenging' and infinitely more so when we're looking after both our own health issues and those of our little furry childer. Worrying about cataplexy on top must be very frightening. I feel for you. Fingers and paws crossed in the Shire that your new meds will be really helpful. :bighug:

15. girlboheme

girlboheme Member

I've got PTSD and bipolar disorder, too. I am lucky that I have it somewhat under control. Helps too that I try not to put myself in situations that will trigger it. My cataplexy is triggered by flashbacks and for 15 years I thought my 'episodes' were just primal emotional responses, which kept me from being diagnosed as a Narcoleptic. Interesting how symptoms can be interwoven. PTSD alone can and was for me very life limiting, I totally understand that. I had a very difficult time with it for many years. Still have my moments. But its gotten better. Thank you for sharing that. Its always nice to know we're not alone, isn't it?

16. Critter Mom

Oh, dear! PTSD and bipolar, too? :( I know what you mean about trigger avoidance... My daft brain developed OCD to counter the fear. Now it's like having a tyrant living in my head; never leaves me alone.

I'm glad to read that you've found a way to manage the PTSD much better. It does help to know we're not alone.

:bighug:

17. girlboheme

girlboheme Member

I'm glad to know I have a kindred spirit here! yes, I learned to manage it by avoiding situations that trigger me and somewhat controlling my emotions (tough!) and breathing exercises. Its so hard, but I'm doing soooo much better. Meditation helps too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.