Introducing Curry

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tena and Curry(GA), Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Greetings from Houston,

Well I'm the proud owner of a newly dx diabetic kitty. Curry is 9 years old and was dx yesterday. She also was dx w/feline asthma 1 1/2 years ago and treated w/Flovent an inhaled steriod taken through the Aerokat inhaler. So she's never been on the oral steriods. My Vet is great. Took time to discuss diabetes management w/me. This morning I started her on her first insulin shot w/Lantus. One unit total at this point. We also are changing her diet to EVO canned food. She goobles that down. I found out about her diabetes when we did her annual blood work on Tuesday. It was 500. She hadn't shown any of the typical symptoms so we are hoping that we may have snagged the diabetes in its "early" stages. We'll just have to see how it turns out.

So this morning I gave her the first shot of insulin before giving her her 2 puffs of Flovent. Curry is so good. I was very nervous before giving her the shot, but had practiced in the Vet's office with sterile water first while my Vet coached me.

I know that getting a home glusose reading is important when dealing w/the diabetes. So I've even experimented with Curry's poor little ear this afternoon. Ugh...very little blood. I only used my hand to rub her ear first to increase the blood flow....that didn't work. I used a 33 guage lancet w/the pen.....she didn't even notice me poking at her....then I tried it free hand and she cried. Ouch.

So I just went and bought a 30 gauge lancet to use. I will use a warm cloth this next time too. What gauge lancet do most of you use? I know she will tolerate it as soon as I can begin to feel comfortable "needling" her soft little ear.

This new diagnosis is considerably more stressful on me than her asthma diagnosis. I know now her life will be a little more complicated while trying to manage both of these illness. So any words of wisdom will be much appreciated.

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Welcome Tena & Curry!

You are now in the best place in the world to help Miss Curry with her sugar dance. From the sounds of things you already have a major jump in the learning curve than I did when I first got here. A good vet who seems to have a firm grasp of diabetes in kitties. I'm sure many more will be chiming in shortly with experience in Lantus. The mere fact that you are already working on home testing is great, and as others will tell you don't worry too much about the lack of blood on your first few attempts, because as crazy as it sounds they will learn to bleed. Another thing you can try to get the blood flowing is get a baby sock. fill it about 2/3 of the way with uncooked white rice, tie off the top and warm it in the microwave for a few seconds then hold it on her ear.

You will also probably want to start a spreadsheet to record her numbers and post it on the board so others can help you should you have questions later on dosing. (If someone could please link the directions for her). And ask questions even if they seem silly. There is just about always someone here that has been there and done that who will be able to help. My own girl didn't make her fight for very long so I will leave most of your questions to those who are wiser. But just want to give you a big welcome to the FDMB family.

Mel & Muse (GA)

3. Tena and Curry(GA)

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm sorry to hear about your kitty though.

Ok, I'm heading to the store this evening to get my rice and Karo syrup. I think I'll let Curry's poor ear rest a bit tonight and maybe try poking her ear again tomorrow. After getting over the jitters w/giving her the Flovent for the asthma and learning to use the mask I'm making myself diving into this. I'm also aware that the treatment can actually cause her harm whereas with the Flovent I couldn't really overdose her or had to monitor any blood levels. And I'm also aware that the endocrine system can be upset so easily. Geez, I'm making myself nervous again. My blood pressure has been up the last couple of days. Excercising helps, time will help, and all your support really helps. Thanks again and thanks in advance to whoever wants to chime in here.

4. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome,

You're doing great zooming up the steep learning curve of FD, congratulations.

Home testing really will get much easier and become routine as you figure out what works best for you and Curry.

People will be by with many tips and suggestions soon.

There is a Insulin Support Group for the different insulins. Click on the Lantus group and start reading the sticky's, there is alot of really good information there to start you off.

Again welcome.

5. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Tena and Curry!!

You are in the right place although it’s too bad you have to be here at all. It sounds like you are a step ahead with learning to hometest already….congratulations! This is one of the most important things in treating FD (IMHO) and has saved many lives. Be sure and read as much of the information here and ask as many questions as you want. We have all been “newbies” at one time and all I can say is Thank God for this Board! It's overwhelming at first but if you can handle asthma you can sure do this !

There are several FD kitties here with asthma and I’m sure they will be along to help out with some additional pointers.

Again.......Welcome!!

6. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I saw your post on FAIM and just wanted to stop by and say Welcome!!! You have come to the right place to help your Curry cat_pet_icon

7. Tena and Curry(GA)

Thanks Kelly. And I love the little smilie w/the kitty.

8. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Hi
    I would suggest 28 or 29ga lancets, and 31 ga syringes

Also, you can use some triple antibiotic ointment _With Pain Reliever_ on the ear to help after the pokies.

9. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

welcome to the site! I can't believe how good of a vet you must have .. there's so many stories on here about vet's who are out in left field when it comes to diabetes in cats, starting at the wrong dose, not changing food over, not for hometesting .. I hope you are able to get the hometesting down pat soon .. it's so important! And yes, I do also agree with using neo with pain relief. I use that almost every single time we check mocha .. her ears seem to be very very sensitive and that helps make them feel better.

10. SherylandClouseau

SherylandClouseau Member

Asthma+diabetes

Welcome! My Clouseau lived with asthma for 13+ years (on Flovent from 2002-2009), and had diabetes for 5 years. He managed very well until I lost him last July at the age of 15. This was a cat my own vet didn't feel would make it to 5, let alone 15, so he was a miracle boy for sure. Sounds to me like you have a proactive vet and the right plan, so I'm sure you and Curry will have many more wonderful years together.

Is Curry's asthma stable? The only thing I noticed w/ Clou is that if he had to have the emergency inhaler (albuterol) it led to a sudden and sharp spike in his BG which lasted for a couple of hours. Otherwise I do not think that his asthma interfered with the diabetes treatment at all.

11. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I love the picture, you have a beautiful cat.

I don't have much advice to offer now, but, I will say that now you are switching to canned EVO the blood sugar will come down naturally so definitely get that hometesting down. Lantus is a great insulin, but it's going to work better if shot twice per day.

Also, just for a little relaxation for your kitty, add some catnip to the rice sock before microwaving, a little aroma therapy to help calm your kitty :mrgreen:

12. RuthV

RuthV Member

I am new on this path too - my cat has only been on the Lantus since 7-17. I have done no home testing - I'm going in for the curve in a week or so and then will decided from there. He is very touchy and I doubt he'll let me near those ears. Paws? Impossible.

I put him immediately on canned food, spaced over 5 meals a day - he gets the insulin shot twice a day. I wonder how working people adhere to this kind of schedule. Travel will be another bridge to cross in time. You will find lots of useful tips and support here. What a Godsend.

I don't even know what his bg was when he was diagnosed, as we were not certain at the time.

I also add Miralax in tiny amts. to his food to keep the constipation at bay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.