Introducing Figaro - 3 weeks after diagnosis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Figaro's Liz, Jul 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Hi everyone, after much stalking of the forum I'm diving in to say hello!
    Figaro is a 5.5 y/o sweet maine coon kitty, my very best buddy, and a great sport about his new normal with FD. He is being treated with Lantus (0.5U BID).

We are three weeks out of his traumatic hospitalization (I thought he had a urinary blockage, turned out to be a UTI), his FD diagnosis, and beginning insulin treatment. He was on an AB for the UTI up to 6/26, and the vet suspects the UTI is what made his BGs shoot up prior to diagnosis.

Background to diagnosis--in early May, Fig's vet noted he had a high BG (364) as part of unrelated bloodwork, but we thought maybe he was hyperglycemic from stress (new living situation with another, new cat in the house, plus vet visit). So we returned later for fructosamine (in 300s). Confusingly, he didn't have any other symptoms pointing to diabetes except some tiredness, so we put off starting insulin and the vet suspected prediabetes. Well, things took a nose dive and in the week leading up to the hospital, Fig started hiding away, was completely lethargic, not interested in toys or food, was barely eating, and rapidly lost over 1lb. We scheduled an ultrasound to check things out, but one night he started crying out while trying to pee and I took him straight to the 24-hour ER. He had ketones but was not yet acidotic. Fluids, insulin, AB, we stabilized him.

I have struggled to trust clinical signs and urine glucose/ketone testing, as my vet recommended. He has recovered so much towards his regular happy, active self. We have switched entirely to canned food (he used to have half dry/wet by volume).

Figaro had a BG curve done at the vet earlier this week, just over two weeks following his hospitalization. The vet recommended moving from a 0.5U BID schedule to 0.5 SID... I said okay, mostly because I was elated he had "good" numbers according to their curve, but his home numbers are NOT good and I am going back to BID.

We just started home BG testing with his AlphaTrak2, and while I was scared about the BG testing, I suddenly feel much more empowered to properly care for him. I will be participating in the Lantus forum soon as we start to get more consistent numbers.

That's where we are at now. The links and resources here have been so helpful, and knowing we are not alone makes all the difference in the world!

Edit: It has been an emotional roller coaster and so, so hard. I know you all know what I mean. I have only recently gotten to the point where I feel like I can do this. I always knew I WOULD do it because he is 1000% worth it, I just wasn't sure that I could.

2. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Empowered is the perfect word. So many people originally think that home testing is frightening, but I also feel it is empowering. Good for you for getting started, and you absolutely can do this!

Welcome to you both, and we'll see you either over in the Lantus forum, or in Health for non-insulin specific questions :bighug:

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  3. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

That was voiced very well and I think that is also how I felt. And feel.
    You not only can do this, you will. You are doing it!

Welcome to you and Fig both. :bighug:

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Liz and Figaro. You are already learning so much and doing the very best you can for Figaro as you take this journey step by step. It is bewildering at first, and more than a little frightening when you realize not only do you have to give injections but test blood sugar as well. But, girl, you got this! Empowered is the right word. Figaro depends on you to take care of him, and you are doing just that.

I see you have created the signature and set up the spreadsheet, giant first steps. If you would, edit the signature and tell us what he eats, as diet is a very important component of effective diabetic treatment and will affect his BG. Not all canned food is low carb. I'm very glad you are testing, as transition from high carb dry to a low carb wet diet can significantly lower the BG and you need to know what is happening to keep Figaro safe.
    Here is a list of things that you can include in the signature: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Read the stickies in the Lantus forum. There is a great deal of information there, and it may take more than one time through to absorb and be able to utilize the info. Also, check out the FAQs forum, there is critical information there about what to do in a Hypo situation. I hope you never need it, but again, knowledge is power.

You are definitely not alone, we are all on the same path, doing what we need to do for our kitties. We will help in every way we can. :cat:

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  5. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Thank you Alice! It means so much. When I explain to people why I look so tired or stressed, they have compassion and are very kind (usually), but it's different to be among people who really understand the fear, the uncertainty, the responsibility... and also work hard to make their kitties live their best lives!! <3

6. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Hi Lou! Thank you for the warm welcome and guidance re:signature. I wasn't sure exactly what to include.
    The Lantus stickies are amazing, I am getting ready to go to my vet to discuss following SLGS. I have definitely had to read and re-read many times as I start to understand better. Being pointed in the right directions is so very appreciated! As you say, knowledge is power.

7. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I am always explaining to people why I am so tired..... but none of them really get it and the fullness of what the experience really means. My partner doesn’t even get it entirely, because I am the research person and she is the follow my instructions (hopefully!) person. I’m the one who gets up at night, so partner can get healthy sleep for their medical condition needs and work and such.

It’s hard sometimes but I would regret a lot more if I never tried. If I never tried, Alice would already be gone, and I’ve been saving her since she was a baby, so that’s just what I do for her, until she says it’s really time to stop.

Keep going. You’re here! It’s a good step! :D

8. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

What an introduction! Empowered is how we all feel after the initial shock and horror of diagnosis and the fright of having to inject and poke our furbabies. What a great Mom you are to little Figaro by taking charge. You will find that there is a wealth of knowledgeable and generous folk on this forum that will help you along the way. Look forward to seeing his progress and I'll see you on the lantus board.

Welcome to you both.:)

9. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Oops! Thank you Cassandra! :)
    I do feel some guilt... I think that's natural for anyone who is a caregiver for someone who is suffering, especially when we have to do small annoying things in order to stave off the really bad stuff. But I only regret my mistakes, and I'm trying to be kind to myself about those as much as I can so I can keep going forward. For me, there is no option except to do anything he and his body need right now.

People have been reminding me to take care of myself. I hope you find ways to self care, too! Alice is a lucky kitty and I'm glad you have each other :cat:

10. AliceMeowliss (GA)

This is one place where guilt just won’t serve you anything but sadness and bitterness. I made mistakes before I found FDMB, and then I made a few more until I figured out how to get serious, and I’m sure I’ll make more later! But the point is always to keep going.
    Someone has a Maya Angelou quote on their signature. “Do your best until you know better, then, do better” or something along those lines.

And yes, self-care, I work in a nap everywhere I can because Alice has been keeping me on my toes! Naps become less of a thing to enjoy and more of a thing of gross necessity in order to keep functioning for those I love.....
    My self-care is also simply hugging and petting all the fur kids, too. :)

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  11. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Thank you! :cat: There is clearly so much knowledge and generosity here. A life raft. I peeked at Jerry's SS, wow! Progress to aspire to!

12. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

And all because of this forum. He has not been back to the vet nor have I spoken to them since he switched to Lantus. This forum is a godsend.:)

13. Keryn_&_Rosie

Keryn_&_Rosie Member

Oh home testing is so valuable! Today we were at a university teaching hospital and I told the students that they ought to insist that patients are monitored at home, I even said it's dangerous not to and that it would be great to be provided with even a basic spreadsheet to record the information that matters.

Diabetes care is a huge commitment! We get it. Last week I was lucky to have a break from it as we had a pet sitter and she and boyfriend are both vet students. It was a massive step to trust someone to care for my girl but thanks to the spreadsheet shared by this group I could keep and eye on how she was going. I hope you are able to find someone you can trust to help out some time.

14. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

That's so wonderful that you found someone to take care of her so you could rest easy. My younger sibling actually did Figaro's first home testing while I was out of the country (a trip planned long ago turned out to have the worst timing, second week after diagnosis :banghead:). My sibling is diabetic type 1 and has been self-testing since the age of 11, so for them it was nbd to help Figaro do the same. It's huge to be able to trust someone... and to be able to ask for help when I'm panicking!

15. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Glad you are encouraging testing!!!
    I posted on my neighborhood website that I would like to offer my help to any newly diabetic cats and their parents in learning the ins and outs and testing. No one has asked me for help so far..... but I keep hoping. I may start contacting the shelter and rescues and ask about if they have diabetics and need volunteer help with them..... :D

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  16. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

What an awesome thing to do for neighborhood kittehs! :cat:

17. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Diabetic Cats in Need helped save Alice’s life. I could help support others. I wish someone had been next to me physically, holding my hand when I first started to navigate! And I figure, for the sugar cat parents who aren’t home testing, maybe this would be some impetus to start! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.