Introducing Gracie, DX Yesterday

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michele & Gracie, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele & Gracie

Michele & Gracie Member

Hi All-

So glad I found this place! Thank you all for being here.

Gracie is a shelter born, adopted at 5 months DMH (possibly Maine Coon) who at her heaviest weight #9.10. She weighed in at #6.2 yesterday.

Over the course of a week, I noticed that she appeared to be loosing weight (although she has always been thin) and her coat had lost it's condition. I got an appointment for yesterday and got the diagnosis. I have cared for diabetic kitties before (house sitting) but have never had to do all the planning, scheduling and recording.

Gracie is not/has never been good at being held and/or caught. She has never been sick a day in her life, so we have only had to try to grab her for monthly flea treatments and ear cleaning. I try to give her a treat when released, but she's gone and hiding so quick, it's hard to do. If I close her in the kitchen, she spends more time staring at the door trying to figure out how to get away than eating. My question is this-and this is what has me freaked out-how am I going to get her to let me give her insulin injections twice a day and do home testing? I have been trying to work with her for 10 years to get her used to being handled, but it's still the same. She does, however, enjoy curling up on my chest if I lie down, but it has to be her decision.

To add more chaos to the mix, Gracie is one of a household of 9 indoor kitties and a dog. One of the other cats has FLUTD, so they have all been eating CD for years now.

Any suggestions on how to approach the injections & testing in a low key/less traumatizing manner?

Thanks in advance, and thanks again for being here.

Michele & Gracie

2. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Hi and welcome!

Just a few questions---

What are you feeding your crew? You mentioned c/d, which is often part of the problem, especially if dry, because all of it is made from low quality ingredients.

Was Gracie's diagnosis made with a fructosamine test, the one test definitive for diagnosing diabetes? Did your vet mention any details or any other conditions, such as an infection or bad teeth, that might be related to the diagnosis?

What insulin are you using? What is the dose? How often are you injecting?

Many people inject while the cat is eating, often they don't even notice. Many cats hate being restrained but some people have developed tricks that work and they'll be by shortly.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME, this forum is a great place to gain knowledge and really learn how to manage feline diabetes. By doing just a few things each day (that really won't take up much of your time at all), you won't need to worry about losing your precious cat, not where feline diabetes is concerned.

Can you tell us what insulin you are going to use?
    How much you will give?
    Will you learn to home test?
    What foods are you feeding? Anything in addition to CD? (see my comments below on prescription food)

There are three key factors to managing diabetes: food/nutrition, home testing and insulin

1) Feline Nutrition: Now, as far as diet - definitely dump the dry food (if you are feeding any) and if the vet recommends purchasing prescription food like DM just say "no thank you". ALL cats, and especially those with diabetes, do best on a species appropriate diet that is high in protein and low in carbs. Dry food DOES NOT fit that bill and DM food, even canned, just really isn't that great as far as quality. Most here on FDMB feed low carb/high protein canned, raw bought from a pet store or they make there own.

Here great links, one is to a food chart put together by one of our board members that breaks down the carb % and protein % of most of the commercial brand foods. You want to keep the carb % below 10% and around 7% is great. The other link is to a site by a vet "Dr. Lisa DVM" ... who also posts on this board from time to time ... there is in-depth info. there about many things, including nutrition and how to make raw food.
    Nutrition/food info

The good thing with feeding your diabetic cat this way, is that it is ALSO good for any non-diabetic cat too. All your cats can safely eat the same food without worry and it may save you some costs and headaches of having to do separate feedings and keeping track of what they are eating.

2. Home testing: It is impossible to convey the value of testing your cat's BG (blood glucose) level at home. Some vets will "suggest" this, but most won't even mention it. They will send you home with insulin and an amount to shoot and maybe some instructions about hypoglycemia (blood sugar dropping to a dangerously low level).

Well, the thing is, human diabetics don't EVER give themselves insulin without checking there BG to make sure it is safe to do so, so why shouldn't it be the same for our kitties. Here on FDMB it is. You will notice that the vast majority of people here test their cat's BG at least 2x/day (before giving each shot to make sure the level is safe enough) and periodically at other times to see how the cat is responding to the current dose. We use a human glucometer, test strips and lancets - which are all very readily available and easy to use.

Our kitties get lots of love and treats for "putting up" with this and most of them actually come out to be tested on their own 'cause they want those treats . Here is a collection of great links that "Carolyn and Spot" pulled together about hometesting. See what you think ... it truly is the best way to not only keep Your cat safe but also really get a handle on this disease and help him to live a healthy life with FD (feline diabetes).

Home testing Links

3. Insulin: There are several types of insulin available. Many people, myself included use Lantus or Levimer both of which are great insulins. They are gentle insulin and given twice (BID) per day in 12 hour increments.

Please read up on the insulins available, here is a link to the Insulin Support Groups:

Insulin Support Groups

However, one caveat and again this shows how these three things are inter-related:

If you are feeding dry food or even a high carb food, BEFORE removing these foods, please make sure of your insulin dose as it will most likely need to be reduced, so as to avoid a possible hypoglycemic situation due to the removal of the dry/high carb foods that will lower the BG’s and reduce the amount of insulin required. Again, another reason why home testing is important.

I know this all seems like a lot, and that's because it is ... there is a learning curve here. But as long as you are determined and keep at it, you will have it down before you know it and you'll be seeing the results in Your cat' overall health and happiness. Ask all the questions you can think of - that's why we are here!

Also, if you haven't done it yet, take the time and fill out your profile. It will help when others come on and read this. Also, let us know where you live - city/state as there are probably people in your area who can provide on the ground support and help you to learn home testing, etc.

4. Michele & Gracie

Michele & Gracie Member

Gia & Quirk, Hillary & Maui,

Thank you so much for the information.

We just got back from the vet-and this is what I have so far:

When seen for original appointment, complaining of large, quick weight loss, not eating/drinking, vet ran a cbc, electrolytes and a "super blood chemistry" that included a glucose level. The vet came back and told me that Gracie was breathing funny so she wanted to do a chest xray as well. When she returned Gracie from the xray, the vet said the blood test results showed a glucose level of 435 and the xray showed some abnormalities in the lungs as well as an extreamly large colon filled with gas. She stated she wanted to confirm the glucose results with a dip stick urine test and confirmed diabetes, which she was more concerned about than the xray results. The vet suggested I take her home with some insulin and set up an appointment for a glucose curve next week, I must have made a really weird face, because she then said "or you can leave her here tonight and we can start one now". I noticed that she did have some gingivitis in some areas and could use a cleaning, but it wasn't too bad.

I left her over night and they started the curve at 10 yesterday morning. They didn't have the insulin they wanted to use on hand and had to pick it up. (Lantus 100). Her readings during the curve were 10AM: 387; noon: 355; 2PM: 251; 4PM: 186; 6PM: 183; 8PM: 272.

I spoke to them at 8 and they told me they had her on a 10/10 schedule and that she was ready to be picked up. I told them that a 10/10 schedule wouldn't work because of my work schedule, so we agreed on a 6/6. They gave her her next dose (1 unit) this morning at 6 and we gave her another dose this evening when I picked her up. I do not know if they checked her BG this morning or before they brought her out when I picked her up.

When I talked to them yesterday, I was told that they wanted to give her an antibiotic injection because sometimes when they are first diagnosed they have an infection, so she was given 0.27 Convenia (it is supposed to be good for 2 weeks). They also said her anal glands were impacted, so they expressed them (first I head of a cat getting impacted anal glands...probably won't be the last either) Thay also checked her for intestinal parasites and manually expressed her bladder because as the tech said "She wasn't cooperating".

I was sent home with the insulin, syringes, glucose spray and a bag of dry DM and told to come back in a week for another curve.

I am looking forward to additional research on nutrition and diet, especially since one of our others (Tiggerr) has FLUTD and requires the Science Diet C/D. Because there are 9 of them, we have just fed all of them the C/D to simplify things. Now that Gracie requires a special diet, (??) as well, we are going to try some different options for feeding the herd. The first change now is no more open feeding. All are going to be fed twice daily for easier monitoring. I just hope there isn't a mutiny!! (lol)

I am on my way out to pick up test strips for the meter I have. I am going to start tracking daily as reccomended here. I love the spread sheet that I saw on your post Hillary & Maui-can you direct me to where I can get a copy?

Again, thank you all so, so much. Sorry this was so long. I promise to breathe from now on!

Michele & Gracie

5. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Michele-
    Hope your kitty is feeling a little better in the next few days!

The thread that explains creating a spreadsheet is here:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=531
    Scroll down to the entry by Cyn for a great explanation of how to do it.

10 pets:) you definitely have your hands full!! I'm sure you will find a way to work it all out, though.

There are many people here who have had kitties who were difficult to test at first. They all eventually work it out, with some time and patience.

I did want to mention that the dry dm is considered by most here to be a poor choice for feeding diabetics. The carb content is much too high, not to mention the ridiculous price. FWIW, I met with my vet today and she was telling me that a lot of the newer research is showing that feeding at or under 5% carbs gives the best chance for regulation/remission. D/M is around 14% carbs and has little water which is important for overall health. Have you had a chance to read the info on nutrition that Hillary linked in her post this morning? I know you are probably a little overwhelmed right now with all the info you are getting, but it is a very important aspect of treating fd. Several of us here, myself included, were able to get our cats off insulin by changing their diets to low-carb. Not every cat will go into remission, but its certainly important to their longevity and health.

Take your time reading & learning, its a lot to digest. Remember, you are not alone, there are many wonderful and experienced people here who are willing to help. Keep us posted on your progress and keep asking questions!
    Jen

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hi Michele,

Thanks for the update. A few things to note:

Do you know if the vet ran a fructosamine test? That is the one test that is the best way to determine diabetes, as it measures the BG levels over a 2-4 week period.

The breathing funny could be an issue. I have a cat that started breathing funny, had chest xray, ultrasound run and she has upper respitory inflammation - or a form of asthma. I now have her on an inhaler twice a day.

These are not horrible numbers considering. However, first day on lantus it is really too soon to determine anything and doing a curve on day 1 is in all honestly a waste of time and money.

When Maui was diagnosed, my vet was insistent that she stay for one week for a curve and to get regulated. At least your vet wasn't doing that, which is good.

Once you learn how to home test, you will never need to take Gracie in for a curve at the vet ever again. You will be able to do that from the comfort of your home. Which is always best, as this is her home environment and she will be more relaxed.

When you start your spreadsheet, please make note of when they shot her. Even though this is very early on, shooting 4 hours early is considered a dose increase. So, please don't be surprised if you see some huge BG fluctations in the next few days.

Now that you are using lantus (great choice by the way) - please come to the Lantus forum and read the starred information at the top, this will tell you everything you need to know about how lantus works. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=157

Also, please put the lantus in the fridge and keep it in there. DO NOT SHAKE or ROLL the lantus. It is very fragile.

UGH!!! Oh my this is not a good thing. But what is done is done. Please read this link about the dangers of covenia, so that you understand and don't allow it going forward.

Please consider the risks of covenia before allowing it's administration

By the way - what infection did she have and from what?

I didn't know about anal glands either. Not until Maui was off insulin and I looked back there and saw nasty red marks (Almost looked like angry pimples). After taking pics, posting and consulting on this board, I was told that it appeared to anal glands and to go to vet. The vet expressed them and showed me how to do it. So, I could avoid a vet visit in future.

It's actually treated like a pimple.

Personally, I would suggest that you return the DM for a refund. Just tell them Gracie doesn't like it. And then look at the other link on nutrition I provided, check out the food charts: Food Charts

And pick up canned foods that are 10% or less in carbs. In addition pick up some cans that are considered medium (12-16%) and high carb (over 20%). Clearly mark these cans as medium and high and set them apart from the low carbs (put them in your hypo tool kit).

If you stay with us and start posting on the lantus forum, the people over there will help guide you in the use and dosing of lantus and there may come a time when it will be recommended to feed some medium or high carb foods.

If your cat is a dry food only cat (like Maui was), then please work on transitioning her and all your others to the low carb canned options.

Given all the mouths you feed and some of the special needs you have, are you familiar with raw food diets?

I have three cats and to keep my sanity, I now feed them a combination of canned and raw food. I even learned how to make raw food and have a freezer full of that. Of course, you don't have to make it, you can purchase it - and try it out.

There are several makers of raw including Felines Pride (internet, mail order only), Natures Variety (don't get chicken - they have a recall on that) - also, if you go to supply closet, I believe there are coupons. And if you go to their website, sign up you will be sent a buy one get one free coupon.

I purchased the chicken and due to recall returned, so I then tried rabbit. AT first they thought it was pretty good - mine liked it better than chicken or lamb. It is more expensive than the other flavors.

Now that I started making my own (with the help of friends), I'm feeding that along with Friskies, Fancy Feast and Evo 95%. (Not all at the same time).

Great! Do you know how to home test? If you need any help in figuring it out, please let us know, we have all kinds of tricks and tips to help.

I see the spreadsheet link was already provided. It's a cool little document that was created. The system automatically colors it, so when you read people referring to colors and not numbers, it's because of the spreadsheet.

Good luck and welcome to the group.

7. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

HI Michele,

I'm sorry to say your vet is steering you wrong in several ways, you need to know why certain things that were not done weren't done and why some things that were done were not the right things to have done. Sorry if I sound harsh, but you need to know these things for Gracie's sake. In cats, as in humans, diabetes is treated at home and you are the primary caregiver. If your vet steers you wrong you need to know about it.

"When seen for original appointment, complaining of large, quick weight loss, not eating/drinking, vet ran a cbc, electrolytes and a "super blood chemistry" that included a glucose level. The vet came back and told me that Gracie was breathing funny so she wanted to do a chest xray as well. When she returned Gracie from the xray, the vet said the blood test results showed a glucose level of 435 and the xray showed some abnormalities in the lungs as well as an extreamly large colon filled with gas. She stated she wanted to confirm the glucose results with a dip stick urine test and confirmed diabetes, which she was more concerned about than the xray results."

Starting here: "breathing funny", which you did not notice, and you would have in your own cat, is not cause for an x-ray, especially since that x-ray showed gas in the colon and you still have no idea what, "abnormalities in the lungs" means and why your vet is not worried. I would be insisting on an explanation.

Blood and urine tests in the office do not confirm diabetes, a fructosamine test, which must be sent out for analysis, does confirm the diagnosis.

"The vet suggested I take her home with some insulin and set up an appointment for a glucose curve next week, I must have made a really weird face, because she then said "or you can leave her here tonight and we can start one now". I noticed that she did have some gingivitis in some areas and could use a cleaning, but it wasn't too bad."

A curve done at the clinic before insulin is started is meaningless. Insulin needs time to settle before any of the numbers have meaning. And I wonder what you were charged for the Lantus, which you could have picked up at your local pharmacy. I am very suspicious and I am wondering about excessive charges in all these areas and if that dental, which was probably costly, was really needed.

"I left her over night and they started the curve at 10 yesterday morning. They didn't have the insulin they wanted to use on hand and had to pick it up. (Lantus 100). Her readings during the curve were 10AM: 387; noon: 355; 2PM: 251; 4PM: 186; 6PM: 183; 8PM: 272.

I spoke to them at 8 and they told me they had her on a 10/10 schedule and that she was ready to be picked up. I told them that a 10/10 schedule wouldn't work because of my work schedule, so we agreed on a 6/6. They gave her her next dose (1 unit) this morning at 6 and we gave her another dose this evening when I picked her up. I do not know if they checked her BG this morning or before they brought her out when I picked her up."

Those are important things for you to know and they should have gone out of their way to see that you had, and fully understood, this information.

"When I talked to them yesterday, I was told that they wanted to give her an antibiotic injection because sometimes when they are first diagnosed they have an infection, so she was given 0.27 Convenia (it is supposed to be good for 2 weeks)."

Antibiotics should never be given to any cat or human unless tests show what bacteria is being treated. Grace should have been a given a culture & sensitivity test to identify that bacteria but if they expressed her bladder manually she didn't get one. The sample for a c & S is collected directly from the bladder via needle aspiration. On top of that, the antibiotic given is not the best choice. there is a long discussion here of how and why Convenia is being overused by vets, please do a search for it.

"They also said her anal glands were impacted, so they expressed them (first I head of a cat getting impacted anal glands...probably won't be the last either) Thay also checked her for intestinal parasites and manually expressed her bladder because as the tech said "She wasn't cooperating".

I was sent home with the insulin, syringes, glucose spray and a bag of dry DM and told to come back in a week for another curve."

Again, I'd love to see the charges for all these procedures, If Grace had impacted anal glands she would have been in discomfort, if not pain, and you would have noticed a strong, unpleasant odor, impacted glands always show symptoms. The test for parasites might have been warranted if Grace had symptoms of great gastric distress. Did you see these? And it would be interested to know the price you were charged for the insulin, syringes and whatever "glucose spray" might be. You can compare them with prices at your local pharmacy or big box discount store.

As for dry phony 'prescription' food, it's not only a ripoff, dry food is where all the trouble started! I think you can see by now where I am coming from and I'm sure you realize I am angry for you.

"I am looking forward to additional research on nutrition and diet, especially since one of our others (Tiggerr) has FLUTD and requires the Science Diet C/D. Because there are 9 of them, we have just fed all of them the C/D to simplify things. Now that Gracie requires a special diet, (??) as well, we are going to try some different options for feeding the herd. The first change now is no more open feeding. All are going to be fed twice daily for easier monitoring. I just hope there isn't a mutiny!! (lol)"

Gracie does not require such a special diet, she needs canned or raw commercial food, or homemade raw food if you find that easier to manage. You need to read http://www.catnfo.org for the unbiased information on feline nutrition. That c/d has been messing up all your cats long enough. And free feeding on wet food will likely make the transition from all dry to species appropriate wet more comfortable for everyone.

I am on my way out to pick up test strips for the meter I have. I am going to start tracking daily as reccomended here. I love the spread sheet that I saw on your post Hillary & Maui-can you direct me to where I can get a copy?

Again, thank you all so, so much. Sorry this was so long. I promise to breathe from now on!

I'm glad you will breathe, in addition you must read, read, read. You need to know all the things your vets do not know for Gracie's sake, your sake, your wallet's sake and the sake of your other furries. We will be happy to help guide you to the information and clarify it if you have questions. And to hold your hand, pat your back and celebrate with you as things get better

Gia & Quirk

Guilt trips are a detour from life

Michele & Gracie[/quote]

8. Michele & Gracie

Michele & Gracie Member

HI All-

Thank you all so much for the support and info. I am truly suffering from "Buyer's Remorse" after dealing with the vet. I was ticked off enough that I kept being handed off to a tech and was passed along between 4 vets (alll who wouldn't talk to me, but rather handed me off to yet another tech) during this whole ordeal, but after reading your comments, etc, I really feel duped. Although some of it is my faut too. I was just really uncomfortable being sent home with insulin without knowing anything, not having any readings, nothing. They suggested doing the fructose test in a month.

Total spent at the vet so far? $694.32. The charge for the insulin was $122. Cost of the Curve, $100 to start each, allgedly with 10 checks. The curve they did? besides being too soon, the data was useless to me because it was never finished, as it was stopped at 8pm with no data after that-she wasn't given her 10 pm injection, rather they waited until 6am toput her on my schedule. If they checked he BG, they never logged it on the sheet they gave me.

Long story short, the search is on for someone that is knowledgable and that I can work with!

At this point, Gracie's BG has dropped to the high 200's (from a high of 435 at admission) with the DM and insulin (296 this morning prior to food & shot). After reading a lot of the links on nutrition, I would like to change to a wet diet-but at the same time, I'm afraid to do this along with the insulin. If she has dropped this much just from switching from the c/d (carb 41.1 protien 36.1) to the DM (Carb 18, protien 51), how much more will she drop switching to a wet food that is even higher in protien and lower in carbs? Many of the links also suggest that changing diet while begining the insulin can be too much change at once. (starts banging head against wall). I really wish I had taken the time to do the research before I started this fiasco.

Again, thanks for the info. I have a feeling I will be relying on you all for a long, long time! :)

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

I understand your feeling duped. But this is what I call a life lesson. You learned from this and will never allow anyone to take advantage of you again. Going forward, you will ask questions and continue asking them until you are satisfied with the answers. You will demand that they not pass you off and that the person in charge speak with you.

So, ok, let's move forward from here - and help you get where you need to for Gracie:

What size lantus did they sell you? If it was a vial (small bottle) - looks like this:

http://www.drug3k.com/imagepages/16178/image2.html

Then $122 is not a terrible price. I purchased the same vial at Costco for $97.

If you received it in a different form, such as a pen or cartridge: http://www.lantus.com/solostar/solostar ... n_pen.aspx

- and only received one of these - then yes, they ripped you off - as you can purchase 5 of these pens (that's how they are sold) for $180-220

As for the DM you purchased. Again, return it to the vet - tell them your cat won't eat it. It is guaranteed by Purina and they must refund you. So, do that and get some of your money back.

Now as far as what to feed her and how to handle the insulin and food, we can help you with this - it's not a problem - honest.

First - have you purchased a meter and test strips? The least expensive ones are Relion, sold at Walmart - go pick one up and at least 100 test strips. Just make sure your strips match the meter. If unsure - ask the pharmacist, they will help guide you.

Pick up lancets. You can either get ones that match the lancet device with your meter, or just grab a box and we will teach you to free hand the pokes.

there are different thicknesses you can purchase - I suggest you get anything from 29-31. The lower the number the thicker the lancet. As you can see, everyone makes them and the thickness ranges from 26-33. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... fix=lancet

I suggest you start with 29-31 - and depending on how successful you are with the pokes, you can adjust up or down.

Also pick up keto stix or diastix while you are there. They look like this: http://www.amazon.com/Ketostix-Reagent- ... B0000532GJ

You don't have to buy Bayer, you can buy store brand. Should cost $15 or less for one box.

they are find in the same area as the diabetes items.

And if you don't already have it at home, pick up some neosporin or any type of antibiotic ointment - typically found near the band aids.

So to recap - here are the items you need to get:

1) meter
    2) strips for the meter
    3) lancets
    4) ketostix
    5) neosporin

When you come back with your purchases, we will go onto the next step of home testing.

Home Testing Links

Let's talk about food and insulin. As that is where your big concern is. You can safely remove the dry food and begin feeding the wet food immediately.

As you are giving 1 unit of lantus and are mastering home testing, you will be able to monitor the BG levels whenever you like.

We will advise getting in several tests throughout each cycle to help you build up your data and learn when it is safe to shoot or not to shoot or to adjust the dose.

Come to the lantus forum: viewforum.php?f=9

And start posting - even if you haven't tested yet. We will help you from there as well.

the important thing is for you to feel comfortable with this board, the set up and what you will need to know and do.

Once you start this journey of home testing and caring for Gracie yourself, you will feel more confident and realize that you won't need to take her to the vet for curves or fructosamine tests, as you will have all the relevant data yourself.

My last suggestion for now is that you may want to interview new vet practices, so you can find one that you are comfortable with and won't feel like you're being passed around. Because no matter what, while we can do a lot to help you, it is important that you have a vet you can trust and go to when and if you need to.

So that's it for now, let us know when you are set up and ready to move forward and we'll give you more tips and recommendations (especially for home testing - for example - warming sock to warm the ear, where on the ear to poke and the angle to hold the lancet or lancet device).

10. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

Wow, pricey.. but I will say, having read through your experience with the vet I was expecting 4 figures.. In the grand scheme of things, if $700 is what it cost to end up finding out that it might be time to consider somewhere else to take your huge family of furries (I barely stay sane with 3!!).. money well spent in my mind.

Lots of great advice and reading materials have already been provided.. so I'll just say I think you are in a lot better shape then I was right after DX.. Sounds to me like Gracie is in good hands... keep reading (and re-reading), and ask lots of questions. Great group of helpful people around these parts.

11. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Thanks for the update, Michele, I was worried you might bite my head off for questioning your vet.

For what it's worth, your vet bill for all that messing around wasn't so bad. Be sure to get all the test results and a report on what each aspect of the treatment accomplished. If x-rays were taken for the dental, get those and the chest x-rays too. You are entitled to these things and don't accept any excuses for not getting them. Your new vet will want this, and I suggest you keep copies at home for future reference. I keep a medical file for each of my cats and I keep a one page summary in the cat carrier pocket so I will have information in case of an emergency.

You're on the right track now and your attitude is wonderful! Please let us know what else you may need or want from us. And sharing good jokes is always appreciated as long as they're on the Community Board.

12. Michele & Gracie

Michele & Gracie Member

Hi All-

Yes, vet has been pricey but not too bad in the grand scheme of things. Just bad timing-and I know there is still a lot more to come.

Hillary & Maui- We got a 10ml vial of the Lantus-I am pricing around for next time. So far I have found $112 & $110. I am kind of restricted in national brand pharmacies-There is Rite Aid, Walgreens, WalMart, Kroger. I know there is a CVS around here somewhere, but I haven't been able to locate it in the 6 years I've been here.

I've got the meter, strips, lancets & neosporene (is that to treat my wounds too?? ;) ) Poor Gracie has started running when she hears my voice or foot step. I am very clumsy in trying to get an ear stick. I am hoping that this will get better.

Have not yet picked up the Keostix. I am trying to figure out how to collect a sample when needed. I am thinking I may just have to completely isolate her from the rest of the crowd for feeding...

Gia & Quirk- I would never bite for questioning authority! I do it every day myself and feel I learn more that way. The problem is that I am not comfortable with the practice I am currently with-and I keep having Homer Simpson D'oh! momments-There is no one vet that is coordinating Gracie's care, so every time I call, I get handed off to a different tech and have to explain the whole scenario over and over before I finally get to ask my question. Then I get handed to the vet and have to do it all over again. I get frustrated with it and tend to growl. Just snap my leadrope and keep me in line. ;)

No, they haven't done a fructosamine test yet. The last vet I spoke with said that it would be a waste of time and money because they need to get her regulated before the do the test.

I have not had a chance to return the DM. While I know it is not a good thing, right now, it is the only thing that I can use to entice her to eat. Once she has a few nibbles, she then switches to the wet and then she consumes enough so I can administer the insulin. Also, because she had dropped so much weight (1/3 of body weight, from 9#3oz to 6#2oz), I will give her anything she will eat just to get some weight on her-

I am in the process of looking for a second opinion, though.

Again, thank you for all the info...There is a lot to digest!

M & G

13. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes there is a lot of information here.

Don't overload yourself. Rather take it in baby steps.

We have tips and tricks for practically everything here! So, please just ask.

Regarding ketostix - there are several ways to collect the pee. Depending on Gracie, some ways may be easier than others.

When I was testing, I tried to follow Maui into the bathroom and have the ketostix at the ready. I'd attempt to put it under her while in mid-pee and hope to catch something. Many times I failed, but for the most part, I was successful more times than not.

Others have used a ladle to put under the cat, or plastic wrap on top of the litter and still others have used special LB's that capture the pee separately.

The trick is to get the pee before it's soaked up with litter and if you catch it on top of litter to test the litter to see if that causes a reaction to the ketostix.

The vial - as you can see from your own price shopping, the vet didn't totally price gouge you on the vial. The important thing here is that you have the insulin you need to treat Gracie and with any luck you won't need to purchase any more.

If you do, you may want to check out supply closet on here to see if anyone is giving away or selling the pens. Or even price shop those as they will overall be less expensive than the vial.

Do you need guidance with home testing? Here are some pics to help you along:

Where to poke
    [​IMG]

How to hold the lancet and poke - upward 45 degree-ish angle
    [​IMG]

Of course you can use the neosporin for your wounds too. Maui and I shared ours - not that she wounded me or anything.

At this point, I would not be too concerned about a fructosamine test. Honestly, it's best used to determine if a cat is diabetic. If you are home testing, then this test is just another unnecessary expense.

I hope you are able to find a vet practice that is better suited to your needs. In the meantime, we can help you with the diabetes management. Have you started posting on the lantus board yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.