Introducing Hobbes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tragicomic, Oct 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tragicomic

Tragicomic New Member

Hello,

My husband and I adopted two cats, Hobbes and Tequila, from a shelter twelve years ago. We were lucky not to face a single health issue for ten years. Then early last year when the cats turned ten, various health problems started cropping up one after the other.

I have joined this forum because Hobbes was diagnosed with steroid-induced feline diabetes on October 28, 2016 (he recevied three Depo Medrol shots since August for his subcutaneous mast cell tumors). I am trying not to panic and have been doing a lot of reading. I have some questions, which I will post on the health forum.

I just wanted to introduce myself and Hobbes, and thank you all for all the resources and reading material this website already provides.

Cheers,
    Neha

2. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Welcome, Neha. What kind of food have you been giving him?The best food for diabetic cats is low carb, wet canned food. Prescription food is not necessary, only expensive. Food like Fancy Food pate or Friskies pate or 9 lives are fine. Just watch out for gravy, it's full of carbs.

Have you started to home test yet? The best thing you can do to keep your little guy safe is to test his blood glucose, then feed him and then give him his insulin shot. Diabetes is quite treatable. Many cats here have lived good long lives, many into their 20's. Read through many of the forum's here. There is lots to learn.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! You are definitely in the right place

4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! Best place ever for people with diabetic kitties. :)

6. Tragicomic

Tragicomic New Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

MiCo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.