Introducing Jett - diagnosed today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PJ Brown, Jul 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJ Brown

PJ Brown Member

Hi - I am new to this group. My 14.5 y/o precious kitty, Jett, was diagnosed with diabetes this morning. Attached are his blood results. He weighs 13.1 lbs. The vet prescribed 2 units of Lantus insulin twice a day. That seems like a lot to me, but I have no experience with diabetes. Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and helping me get up to speed on what to do and not do. My first hurdle is to give him the 1st shot tonight and try to read all the great information on this forum. I am overwhelmed. Jett Blood Results July 5 2016 pg 1 of 2.png Jett Blood Results July 5 2016 pg 2of2.png

Attached Files:

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi PJ, welcome to you and Jett. Sorry for the diagnosis, but you've come to the right place. There are many people here that are knowledgable in all things feline and they will be glad to help you. It is overwhelming at first, but you will get the hang of it. Lantus is a great insulin and is usually started at a dose of 1unit twice/day. Go to the Lantus forum and read the yellow stickies to learn more about how Lantus works and how it is dosed. If you'll begin home testing and set up a spreadsheet, the people on the Lantus board will better be able to help you. In the meantime, ask any questions you have on the Health Forum.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-glargine-levemir-detemir.9/

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

3. PJ Brown

PJ Brown Member

Thank you, Sharon. Are there videos on giving an insulin shot with a Lantus pen?

4. Sharon14

5. Sharon14

Have you given his shot yet?

6. PJ Brown

PJ Brown Member

Hi Sharin - Just finished giving him a shot. I have no idea if it went into him! It is a tiny needle and his skin seemed really thick. Attached us a pic of the Lantus pen and pen needles. Is the 4mm needle the right size?
    Thanks!
    Patti

Attached Files:

7. Sharon14

Hi PJ, I've never used the pen needles. Most of us use a syringe and draw the insulin from the pen like you'd draw from a vial. You can get much more accurate dosing that way. As far as if you got the insulin in or not, I always sniff the injection area after. The smell of insulin is unmistakeable. Having said that sometimes you'll get a little smell even with a good shot.:confused: When I first started, I had the vet shave an area on Colin's scruff so I could see his skin and see the needle go in, now I can do it by feel. If you want to use the syringes you can pick them up at any pharmacy, some states require a prescription, so check on that. You'll want U100, 3/10 ml, 8mm, 31gauge, with half unit markings. I use the Relion brand from Walmart.

8. Sharon14

Look how cute your avatar is! What's your other kitty's name and which is Jett?

9. PJ Brown

PJ Brown Member

Thanks! They are brothers. Rhett is the brown kitty and Jett is the black kitty. They are so sweet!

Sharon14 likes this.
  10. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Are you keeping that pen in the frig? We store the lantus pens in the frig to get the most use out of them like 3-4 months verse the 28 day period on the pen it its left out all the time. Also we order it from marks in canada to get a good deal on a box of 5 pens which should last a year. The pens only do full units which is another disadvantage. also the mechanism can stick when kept in the fridge. the link below has pictures and videos and how to use a syringe with the pen etc.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...insulin-info-handling-drawing-fine-doses.151/

Attached Files:

11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The high BUM and creatinine indicate some kidney degradation but the urine specific gravity of 1.027 is relatively good.
    How has Jett ben eating? I ask since the liver values of AST and ALT are high

12. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Lantus starting dose is actually recommended to be calculated based on the weight of the cat. The formula is ideal weight (or actual weight if underweight) in kg x 0.25. From his vet report, which I looked at over on the CKD site, his weight was 13.31 lb on diagnosis, which comes in at just over 6 kg. If that weight is a good one for him, or he is underweight, that would make his starting dose 1.5 units. If he is overweight, he'd need to start on a lower dose than that. To do half unit dosing, you will need to use syringes to draw the insulin out of the pen rather than using the pen needles, but I see you have already been sent a link to the ReliOn syringes with half unit markings - those are the ones I use here and they're not too expensive at $12 and change for 100 syringes. A half unit difference is a big one for a cat - we make most of our dosing adjustments in 0.25 unit increments and many cats finish up on micro-dosing of smaller amounts again than that (typically 0.1u) which actually do have a measurable effect, so a difference of 0.5u is a significant difference in dosing for a small animal.

Personally, at the moment, I would monitor his liver values rather than worrying too much about them as diabetes can cause liver values to look 'off' until it's brought under control because the cat has to metabolize fats to try to make up for the nutrition that it's body can't extract normally from food due to the lack of insulin in their system. While raised liver enzymes can be a sign of direct liver problems, they may well normalize once Jett's BG is under control and he is able to get the nutrition he needs from his food.

13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Check my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for some additional assessments you might use to evaluate your cat. Given the elevated liver values, check the whites of the eyes for signs of yellowing (jaundice) which can happen if the liver becomes too overwhelmed by the fat breakdown for calories (hepatic lipidosis).

14. Shorty

Shorty Member

I usually give Shorty a good rub over the area where I just shot him at. If it feels wet, then I know that I got a fur shot. But he's been really good, except for the first day, about sitting there until the shot goes in. I think I've given a few skin shots, your kitty will react more to a skin shot than a sub-cutaneous shot because it'll hurt a little. Also, I usually get the needle drawn and ready 10-20 minutes before his shot, so the insulin isn't as cold going in. But, if you rub his fur over the shot area immediately after the shot and don't feel any wetness, then it's at least in him.

15. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Rubbing the shot area after a shot is not recommended since rubbing can squeeze insulin out of the subQ tissue and into the fur. thus, making the shot less effective.

16. mimilefromme

mimilefromme Member

I'm sorry to have to say "welcome" but you are in good hands here. I am also a newbie with a recently diagnosed diabetic fur baby and the people here are amazing, helpful, supportive, and knowledgeable. I was able to advocate for my Mimi's health care plan due to people here and suggestions that were made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.