Introducing Mimi

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mimilefromme, Jul 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimilefromme

mimilefromme Member

Happy 4th of July. My name is Tracy and I would like to share Mimi's story. FYI, Mimi is not my only cat as I am that crazy cat lady, but she is defiantly a kindred spirit and the owner of my heart.

Mimi was born July 8, 2008 and was the only female in a litter of 6. Mimi's mom did not go into labor and so this litter had to be born via C-Section and as a result Mimi's mom rejected her entire litter. Due to this circumstance I was was entrusted with their care and spent the next 6 weeks feeding these kittens round the clock with an eyedropper and then a bottle, making them go to the bathroom until they began going on their own, keeping them warm, and keeping them clean until they eventually became a little older and more independent.

Upon turning a month old, Jack, one of Mimi's brothers, suddenly had a decline in health. I rushed him to the emergency clinic in which it was determined that Jack had an abnormal pancreas and was not expected to survive but a few more days. In a complete state of shock and attached to these kittens due to the care that I had been providing to ensure their survival, I was devastated and refused to accept Jack's grim prognosis. Sadly, however, Jack passed away at home that night in those darkest of hours right before the sun came up.

A few weeks later, Danny, another of Mimi's brothers began showing the same signs as Jack and so we took him to the Vet. It was determined that Danny had an enlarged heart and that his lungs weren't functioning properly and due to the rarity of his condition, he would not survive past 3 months of age. Again, I refused to believe this was not only happening, but I had yet to get over the loss of Jack. I took Danny home and he died in my arms two days later.

Absolutely besides myself after these two losses, I took the remaining 4 kittens to the vet for a check up where it was determined that they all suffered the same organ genetic abnormalities as Jack and Danny. The vet told me that there was a great probability that I would lose the entire litter and suggested the possibility of euthanizing the remaining 4 to avoid their suffering and my prolonged grief. Sadly, and while it may sound selfish, I couldn't bring myself to do it. Reuben passed away that same night and Maverick passed away a month later. He was 3 months old. I still cry when I relive this time in my life and I believe that heaven has 4 little angles waiting for me.

At this time we were left with Ben and Mimi. When they were 6 months old, we took them back to the vet for a checkup and he was baffled to say that not only was their health improving, but that both of their abnormal hearts seemed to be adapting. He gave them a life expectancy of three years. He said they seemed to be defying great odds and to be thankful for the extra time that I might have with them. I am blessed to say that Ben and Mimi will celebrate their 8th birthday on July 8, 2016.

This past September, Ben and Mimi came down with URI's which led to their hospitalization. Ben was a trooper and recovered quicker than Mimi and Mimi wound up with Pneumonia and had to stay almost an entire month in the hospital. Still, she came home but when she did she was diagnosed with Asthma and prescribed Prednisone for her breathing. Anyone using prednisone on their cats for a variety of reasons will agree that many of the warning signs of diabetes are similar to the side effects of predisone and so Mimi's excessive thirst, frequent urination, and increased appetite were believed to be side effects and medication related. Mimi is also overweight and the fact that she had not lost a significant amount of weight was another "indication" that Mimi was only presenting the side effects of the medication, and not the warning signs of diabetes. Mimi has been on prednisone for her Asthma since September of 2015.

Last weekend (End June) I was awakened by Mimi vomiting in which afterward she collapsed. I rushed her to the 24 hour emergency facility and they immediately placed her in oxygen. I was convinced that she had suffered a severe asthmatic attack but of course her abnormal heart always weighs in the back of my mind. Needless to say that when I was told that Mimi's BG was 677 and she had sugar in her urine I reminded the staff that I was a teacher and not a doctor and to break it down in terms that I could understand. Simply stated, and as the rest of you probably already know, Mimi was diagnosed with diabetes.

So, Mimi spent another 8 days in the hospital trying to get her diabetes regulated as well as her asthma under control. She was released from the hospital a few days ago but I had to take her back this afternoon for another round of oxygen and another breathing treatment. My mother in law; a member of this community (Jan and Buddy) has been a Godsend helping me every step of the way and going over and beyond the call of duty to lend 24 hour support and love. She suggested that I join this online community for a network of support and a wealth of information crucial to Mimi's health and well being. I strongly feel that with the love, knowledge, experience, and support from my mother in law as well as this online community and medical attention , that Mimi's diabetes will be manageable and as you can see, she is a fighter and survivor.

My biggest concern, at this time, however, is Mimi's asthma. You see, she can't breathe and not to discount diabetes, but in my mind, proper lung function is the priority because if she can't breathe, the diabetes won't matter. Mimi has no lung disease and her "abnormal" heart is functioning properly without any type of heart disease present. Mimi can no longer take the prednisone to open her lungs due to her diabetes and her rescue inhaler (used via the Aero Kat inhaler made just for cats with asthma) can only do so much. The diabetes and asthma feed off of each other and when her numbers are high.....her breathing is impaired and when her breathing is impaired.......her numbers go up......so its an extremely challenging situation.

My plea is to anyone within this online community who has a furry baby with both Asthma as well as diabetes to reach out to me or direct me to a forum where I can go to get help for Mimi. Though I feel so discouraged right now, I know that there is hope and that someone here can give it to me. I would like to know about all of the treatment options for Mimi's asthma that won't worsen her diabetes. Oxygen and breathing treatments at the vets work wonders, but neither myself nor Mimi can live at the Vet and so I would live to know what I can do at home to help her Asthma which won't worsen her diabetes and discuss these options with her Vet.

I would also like to say that many of you might be cringing at some of the medical care (or lack of) that in your opinion Mimi has been receiving and may even feel that the fact that Mimi was on prednisone for 10 months may have led to her diabetes. I hear you and share these concerns. However, at this particular time, and at the risk of not making a good first impression, I would like to say that I am not interested in bashing Mimi's medical care or hearing about all of the things that may have been done to lead to her worsened condition. Those comments (which I have plenty of my own) will not help Mimi right now and all that I want is t0 find people who can help me get out of the problem and into the solution. We can share any comments of disgust later, when Mimi is holding her own. So right now I need help with Asthma first, and Diabetes second, even though they both feed off of one another.

I can be emailed at mimandben08@yahoo.com as well.

Thank you for your time and help,

Tracy

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Tracy, welcome to you and Mimi. What a heartbreaking story of those sweet kittens. But what wonderful care you've taken of Mimi and Ben! Without you they wouldn't be here getting ready to celebrate #8. I don't know anything about feline asthma, but there are some kitties here who have both diabetes and asthma. I'll tag one that I know of @DebG You may want to post on the health forum about asthma too. If you put it in the thread title, you'll attract the attention of those that know about it.

3. mimilefromme

mimilefromme Member

Thank you so much.:cat:

4. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome. :cat: Diabetes is very treatable. There is a ton of information and people that can help you here. @Chris & China

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.