Introducing Misty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by beccers2017, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beccers2017

beccers2017 New Member

Hello Everyone,

My cat Misty is newly diagnosed (02/02/16) diabetic, after realizing how thin she had become (4 Ibs even) almost overnight it seemed. She's a relatively young cat, her adoption paperwork suggested 1 year as they had no background on her since she was a "stray," however my vet ages hers closer to 2 or 3, which still puts her really outside of the typical window for diabetes, so the diagnosis was very unexpected. At diagnosis her BG levels were in the 600's and she needed to stay at the hospital for a day. So far she's been on 1 unit (trying to move up to 2 units if she would eat better) of Lantus (using the Lantus Solostar pen) and I check BG levels before feedings, and the best I can throughout the day.

So far it's been very challenging and stressful, but I'm up for the commitment. I'm a 20 year old student, and its been quite the balancing act timing my school, job and homework just right to make sure I'm there for shots, glucose checks, and feedings, especially because she is extremely difficult to get to eat. It's a little nerve racking to do this, I never thought I would have someone so dependent on me at this point, but I love her and wouldn't want it any other way.

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. So sorry you have found yourself joining us but so glad you found us. You will find a very friendly supportive group here with years of hands on experience so whatever help you need, there is always lots of it available.

I can truly appreciate what a shock it is to have a cat so young with diabetes. My cat was only 4yrs. when diagnosed and I too was stunned. Since I joined, I have seen several fairly young cats diagnosed and one was still a young kitten which really surprised me. I can also understand the stress you must be under and how worrying it is to have a cat that doesn't want to eat. We can help you with lots of tips and tricks to entice kitty.

You can post your questions over on the Feline Health - Main Forum to get the most responses. It would be really helpful if we could get you to set up what we call a "signature" so when you do post to Health, you can get help in a timely fashion without having to repeat the same information over and over.
    If you look at the bottom of my message there is some lighter text, giving details like my name, my cat's name, age & weight, date diagnosed, type of insulin, type of meter you are using, diet, any other health concerns and your location (helps if you need any shopping tips). All this information helps those assisting you provide appropriate guidance for your situation.

To set up a signature, just click on your screen name up in the upper right corner of the screen on the dark bar. This opens up a menu and in the left column, click on "Signature". A text box opens up and you can type in whatever information you wish to share. The signature is limited to 3 hard returns so brevity is key and separating details with "|" allows you to fit in a lot more details should you start running out of space.

If you have any problem setting up your signature, just holler and someone will help you out. See you later over in Health! :)

3. Kim Page

Kim Page New Member

Hi Misty, One of my cats was diagnosed a few weeks ago. He is about 8. How is Your Misty doing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.