Introducing Nam-kha (and myself!)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cyndy, Apr 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyndy

Cyndy Member

Hello everyone!

My name is Cyndy, I'm from France, but I live in Alberta (Canada), with my husband, our toddler and our two kitties : Nam-kha (11) and Pibou (8).

Nam-kha is a very sweet cat, very vocal, and super attached to us. She's a real lap cat :) But last year, in March, she started to pee in our house, outside of the litterbox. We thought she had a urinary tract infection, we took her to the vet and she got 10 days of antibiotics. After 10 days, she was miserable and still peeing around the house. So we took her back again to the vet and I insisted to have a full blood test done to her, even if the vet thought that her peeing issue was probably from other cats wandering outside of our house.

After a week, we got the results. The vet called and asked us to come to the clinic to talk, and she also wanted to see Nam-kha again. We learnt that our kitty had diabetes, and also realized that she had lost almost 900g since the first time we took her to the clinic.

So we started insulin shots, we switched her food for the DM stuff and she gained back her weight and was happy again. It was hard for us to deal with the shots at first, but after a while I got used to it. Nam-kha had to see the vet every three months for a glucose curve and the vet adjusted the units of insulin she needed.

In January, we started to give her 2,5 units. We noticed after a few weeks that she was starting to sleep more, but at the same time, it was super cold outside and she usually hates this time of the year, so we did not worry. But at the end of March, one day I found her lying on the floor in her own vomit and urine. She was very weak so I just rushed her to the clinic knowing she was probably dying from low blood sugar. The vet treated her and sent her back home, asking me to lower her insulin to 1,5 units. The next day, I noticed she wasn't feeling right and again got her to the vet. This time, her blood results showed that everything was bad : she was dehydrated, there was something going on with her kidneys and her liver. She stayed at the clinic for three days... Then our vet told us that she was finally alright but asked us to start to monitor her blood sugar at home.

So here we are, we're doing it every day, and still trying to figure out the right amount of insulin Nam-kha needs!

I'm sure that with your help and experience, it will get easier for us :)

Here is Nam-kha :

[​IMG]

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! So glad you are monitoring at home now! That's so so so important.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! She is beautiful.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and your beautiful kitty! :) Please post all your questions on the main health forum. If you give us this information it'll be easier to start helping you right away (some of this is a repetition of what you've said here):
    • kitty's age and date of diagnosis
    • what insulin you use
    • whether you are testing at home and, if so, what meter you use
    • what you feed her
    • any other health issues or meds she has.

5. Cyndy

Cyndy Member

Thank you :) I updated my signature with the info you suggested!

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Excellent!! The very best place for you to get Lantus-specific advice is on the Lantus forum. The level of expertise there is very high. It's a large and busy forum but don't let that deter you. Given what you've described it seems that you need help dosing your kitty to get BG under good control while avoiding scary hypos or other complications.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-glargine-levemir-detemir.9/

Check out the yellow info stickies at the top of that forum, especially the two methods used for dosing, TR and SLGS. Very detailed and very helpful.

7. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, Cyndy!

Others: Cyndy is arriving there through the francophone facebook group, but I see she won't be needing Google Translate ;-)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  8. Martine et Gomette

Martine et Gomette Member

Bonjour ici @Cyndy .

La chance que tu as de maîtriser l'anglais. Pour ma part, j'ai besoin de la traduction :) Donc ne t'étonne pas si ce n'est pas parfait ;)

En tout cas, tu vas être également bien aidée ici.

En:

Hello here @Cyndy.

The chance you have to master English. For my part, I need the translation :) So do not be surprised if it's not perfect ;)

Anyway, you will help here too.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  9. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Martine et Gomette likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.