Introducing Smoke

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mom to Smoke, Apr 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mom to Smoke

Mom to Smoke New Member

I apologize in advance for the lengthy intro, but Smoke has quite a medical history and has been under the care of an internal med vet about 2 hours away from where I live who is fabulous! Smoke is currently 15 years old. In 2013 Smoke was diagnosed via biopsy with IBD. That is currently controlled with feeding raw and 5mg of prednisolone every other day. We have tried less pred and he unfortunately will have a flare, so he's been on this for years with periodic trials at decreasing which don't work. (I know right now everyone is thinking it is steroid induced diabetes, but read on....). In 2016 he became hyperthyroid and he was given the I-131 treatment and returned to normal. In October 2018 he was diagnosed with a sterile pancreatic abscess and had major surgery to "remove" it. They could not remove one wall of it from his pancreas but he has an ultrasound about every 6 months to keep a check on it. As a result of the abscess and the surgery he lost weight and couldn't seem to get it back on. Then in March he was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism again (new tumor), and he underwent the I-131. He had to stay at the clinic for 5 days and apparently the stress brought on more pancreatitis, but we overcame that and he has gained almost 2 pounds. Fast forward to his 30 day follow up blood test for thyroid this past Tuesday, and his glucose was at 444 and his urine showed it too. Now diagnosed with diabetes due to the pancreatitis, pancreatic cysts (forgot to mention these that show on the ultrasound), and pancreatic damage from the sterile pancreatic abscess all resulting in decreased insulin production. So...prescribed 1 unit of Lantus twice a day. I've ordered that (in pen form), the U-100 syringes (31 gauge), and an AlphaTrak2 glucose testing equipment - although now I read I should use a human one which I already have one of those at home - so don't know! I just read something about everything on this site is based on a human glucose meter?
    I feel like I've been thrown in the deep end. Dealing with his IBD, pancreatitis, and now the diabetes. I am familiar with giving shots (thankfully) since he gets adequan shots, and I give IV fluids as needed for the pancreatitis. Plus he's been getting B-12 shots as he tested low. I know, alot of stuff going on - but I'm here to learn the basics in dealing with a cat with diabetes. I've dealt with cats with lymphoma on chemo, so I guess I can learn this....Thanks in advance, Teresa

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Teresa and Smoke to FDMB. You and Smoke have been through quite a bit, and now diabetes. You have met every challenge so far and I'm very glad you have found this board because there is a wealth of information that is going to help you learn about feline diabetic treatment, as well as a very supportive community.

Please copy your post here, go to the Main Health forum HERE, start a new thread there with a title indicating you are new and need some help with a kitty with multiple health issues, and paste the copy into the message window. I want to get as many eyes on Smoke's history and your need for information as quickly as possible.

You have provided so much valuable pertinent information in your post, but it would be very helpful if you could create a signature to condense that info to be available with each of your posts, as some readers going forward might miss your first post here or in the Main Health forum. Do the best you can with the amount of text allowed.
    Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Be assured you will get responses, there are many members here who have dealt with some of the same health issues, in addition to the diabetes. I will be watching for your post in the Main Health forum, and if need be, will tag some of the more experienced members for input.

Sending a virtual hug, just because you have been so absolutely stellar at taking such good care of Smoke. He's a very fortunate kitty to have such a loving pet parent. :bighug:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  3. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Welcome. Lots of support here, sorry your baby has had such a hard time. Hoping things will improve soon for Smoke.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.