Introducing Spaz

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LilWeathers, Dec 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilWeathers

LilWeathers New Member

Hi! Spaz is my about 6 year old male cat. His (and my) journey with diabetes started 2 weeks ago, when I took him to the vet because he wasn't acting right and I knew something was wrong. He was a very sick kitty and my vet directed me to to take him to an animal hospital right away. She diagnosed him with diabetes and could tell he had ketones just by smelling his breathe. She also feared he might have pancreatitis, and had trouble getting a reading off of testing his blood. He was admitted to the hospital with DKA. It seemed that every day it was more bad news and very little good news. He wasn't eating, they discovered more levels that were not right, and at the end of his stay he had developed fluid in his chest and an irregular heartbeat that made them suspect the early onset of heart disease. They were able to stabilize his sugar levels and in the end he was trying to eat. After 6 days in the hospital, I decided to bring my baby home with me. I just couldn't didn't have the finances to keep him in the hospital, nor did I know how I was going to pay for the two ultrasounds they wanted to do on him. I figured at least I could bring him home, make him comfortable and spend as much time with him as I was allotted. Thus, began me giving him his insulin shots, Lantus 1 unit twice a day, and he was also put on an appetite stimulant. He showed interest in food and tried to eat, but it was like he struggled to chew his food and would lose energy, so I started to syringe feed him. I can say that I only had to do that for two days before he started eating on his own, and ate a little more each day. A day after I had brought him home, my regular vet called after receiving the reports from the animal hospital. I found that they could do the ultrasounds needed and they were less expensive then what I would have to pay at the animal hospital. So, last Friday my baby got both ultrasounds. Happy to say that he doesn't have the onset of heart disease! There is inflammation and an infection in his abdomen. There is also still a slight chance that he could have cancer, as with the inflammation there was no way to confirm either way on this. He was placed on two medications to help with the inflammation and infection. Yesterday, he had a follow-up with his regular vet and it was a great visit! My vet could instantly tell that he was a different cat (his normal self) from his initial visit. He had gained a little bit of weight which was a good thing, no fluid in the chest, and no heart murmur. I was pleased that my vet agreed and was supportive of me continuing to home test (in the hospital Spaz got a Libre monitor, but it stopped functioning on Monday evening) and to switch him over to wet food. I can happily report (as he lays curled up next to me) that today was the first day with no appetite stimulant, I successfully (not easily) completed two home tests which had results under 200 so no insulin, and have switched him (as well as his brother Orlando - who needs to loose weight) to all wet food. He is still on his two medicines for inflammation and infection, and will be on those for at least another 3 weeks. I know that there will be hard days, and I will deal with them when they get here. What I am focusing on now is that he is still here with him because a couple weeks ago I thought I was going to have to say goodbye!

Sorry for the long post!!!

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to the FDMB! We are glad you and Spaz found us. What an Intro you and he got to FD with having to deal with DKA. We are so happy for you both that he has turned the corner and is doing so much better. I can tell you are a wonderful cat mom! Outstanding that you are hometesting and switched to canned food. Did your vet tell you that you can get urine keto stir at Almart or the pharmacy and check his urine ketones? I’d be sure and do that every day.

The next place to go is the Main Health Forum. It’s the best place to start and get your feet wet before you jump into the Lantus/Levemir Insulin Support Group.

A couple posts to help you get started:
    How to Help Us Help You
    Editing Your Signature and Profile

We are so happy to have you and Spaz with us. Bring on the questions!!

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB!!

Please join us on Health. What a story. I'm so glad to hear that Spaz turned around and is doing so well.

LilWeathers likes this.
  4. LilWeathers

LilWeathers New Member

Thank you for the warm welcome! I plan on checking everything out that will help me! As far as the keto strips....I actually bought them right when Spaz came home. He came home with Ketos still being an issue, so I knew it was important to monitor them as best as possible. I haven't been able to test him every day, but I test him when I can. The last 2 tests showed zero Ketos, so another victory on for my fur baby!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.