Introducing Tigger

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mal, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal New Member

Hi, my 16 year old Tigger (female) was in the middle of a traumatic move to a 2 dog 1 cat new home with my fiance (saved from being a crazy spinster cat lady at 53!) when she began having symptoms. The new vet diagnosed her with feline diabetes after over a thousand dollars of tests. It is very hard to monitor her eating and urination, as well as do home tests, which the vet did not mention, simply to inject her with 2 units of Novolin N as long as she ate. At this point, after joining on-line groups, which I only coincidentally found out about due to chatting with another client in the waiting room, I don't even go to the vet anymore because poor/lack of advice which could have resulted in death, and I think Tigger is in remission anyway. I am moving again to our new house when we find one, and I will get a new vet then. I am late in posting this introduction, so I am heading to the advice section. Thank you to all on here who I have learned so much from, and I hope all your babies do well!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Mal

Mal New Member

Hi, so I can barely figure out how to post much less do a spreadsheet for Tigger that is going to prove to be impossible so please don't even ask me to try. I can't even figure out how to post in the main forum. I just moved and I am moving again so I cannot even access my own computer. Using someone else's, not that that matters because I am no good at that sort of stuff anyway. After spending a thousand useless dollars at the vet, I learned on Facebook how to do home testing and changed to wet food. Tigger's numbers have gone down substantially from 300 and 400s and even though I calculated that she went down 20 units per Novalin N the last time I gave her a dose was the 6th and she was 193 and went down to 59 after 2 units. Since most of the time she is about 120 average i am not giving her shots at all. I test her at dinner time and she is pretty normal then. Acting her old self and no symptoms whatsoever. This morning a couple of hours after breakfast she was at 128. So after about a month of pretty decent numbers and the past couple of weeks no insulin except for that one time she was 193 I am not sure what happens now. I am moving again and will be getting a new Vet wherever I go. Hopefully one that does not tell me to just give two units after every meal she eats, never even mentioned home testing or food change. Tigger's always had only hard food too! If not for me researching online, Tigger would definitely be dead so thank you all for being here. Plus someone at the vet stole Tigger's favorite and only toy. Like how are you go to lose a purple rubber cat shaped brush, come on.

4. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I am so sorry you and Tigger were treated so badly. Most vets don't know about diabetic pets, especially cats. It is so good that you found the information yourseld and bought a meter. Try to find a low carb wet food. Go slow adding the new food to avoid digestive problems. As you introduce the new food, Tiggers BG will go down. Be sure to test and watch how her BG drops. You don't want to risk her going hypo. Welcome to our board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.