Introduction and needing help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Joye and Jasper, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joye and Jasper

Joye and Jasper New Member

Hi i am new here and not sure how to do this.. my name is Joye and my cat is Jasper..he was diagnosed 2 years ago..i am having problems checking his blood.. only got blood 2 times and both times the test says Lo i am not sure what that means except he was acting sick.. i gave him some honey as that is all i have available right now..can someone tell me if it is better to not give him insulin or a very low dose.. he fights me when i try to check his blood and i am not getting any blood..i have used warm rice on his ears but still not drawing blood.

2. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Years or days?

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Testing is very important right now. What meter are you using? What insulin and dose is he on? If he's acting sick DO NOT SHOOT, especially without knowing his number. You may want to get a thread on the Main Health Forum. Please please try to get a test.
    Avoid hitting the vein. It's more painful and bleeds too much. You want to aim for the sweet spot which is the area between the vein and the outer edge of the ear.
    [​IMG]

4. Yong & Maury GA

5. apple

apple Member

Hello,
    I can't tell you what to do, only what I would do for my cat.

Lo + honey + acting sick. I would seek medical care for my cat.

You know him best and have eyes on him. Did your vet give you instructions for a situation like this?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  6. Joye and Jasper

Hi thank you for responding.. i will keep trying to get a test done but he is not liking it.. he does not understand i am not trying to hurt him..i have only had this test kit for one week..he is taking Lantus and i am giving him a very small dose..i am using

7. Joye and Jasper

Hi i am in Arkansas i am not able to take him to the Vet at this time i am only giving him a small dose of Lantus..i skipped last night because he had another Lo test result last night and today..i will not give him any more until i can take him to the Vet and will keep trying to get another test done..checking his blood is very new to me

8. Yong & Maury GA

Definitely do not give insulin with these Lo readings. You need to stay with him. You can put some honey with his wet food. Since you can't leave, please read the Hypo link I posted. Keep trying for the BG test. You might want to post on the Main Health Forum so other members in different time zones will see.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

StephG likes this.
  9. apple

apple Member

What resources do you have in your area? Pet sitters that may have experience with this? Neighbors?

Meters age programmed to say low when the blood glucose gets below a specified number.

Can you call your vet? What are the after hours directions for your vet?

I wish you all the best with your cat.

There are different areas on the board. If you copy your message and paste it in other sections, more people will see it.

The people in this group are lovely.

If you post in the Lantus or health forum, with 911 in the title of your post, you may get more information. The people here are very knowledgeable.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  10. apple

apple Member

In the case of after hours emergency, call 903-838-9572 and you will be connected with veterinary emergency service who will contact the local vet on-call at the time.

I found the above for the city you listed in your profile.

Tanya and Ducia and StephG like this.
  11. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

You can use his paw pad for blood too. Very important to get a test. Don't worry too much about stressing him at the moment. If he won't eat the honey, rub it on his gums. Don't worry about the mess, it will clean up later. Wash or rinse hands before testing, you could get a false high if there's sugar on his ear or your hands when handling the strip.
    You could try putting him between your legs, drape a towel over him and tuck the towel under your legs to help hold him down. Sounds mean but it frees up both hands to try to get a sample.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.